New tortoise owner, help please, red swollen sores

Location (City and/or State)
cleveland ohio
My torts don’t bask so I’m not sure but it seems i heard people say that basking temp should be much higher then 85f. With sick tort you could keep the whole thing at 85 until he gets over the illness. You really need to help them get their metabolism up so their immune system can start working. At 75F everything is „asleep”. Btw 81 carapace is great beginning. Cover that tank. Do the lamps sit on something on top of the tank or are they hanging?

Thanks and yeah I’m going to cover it loosely with cardboard and the MVB is attached by a heat lamp clip on the side of the tank!

cleveland ohio
Be warned those clips fail and pose a serious fire risk as well as burning your baby. You’ll to find a secondary way to secure the lamp to avoid this.

It seems like a fairly strong clip. I pulled on it a bunch to make sure it was secure and it would stay in place with a lot of resistance. But again I’m always open to advice what other options should I explore? Here’s a pic of the lamp clip for reference. The lamp dome itself is also resting on top of the tank which adds more support.
IMG_1529290655.376262.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Thanks and yeah I’m going to cover it loosely with cardboard and the MVB is attached by a heat lamp clip on the side of the tank!

Ok, whatever you do please be cognizant of the very real fire risk. I’m not sure about the cardboard.... I used this special insulation material that is designed for being around heat and electricity. IMG_5751.jpg something like this. IMG_5752.jpg and to secure tjings in place there is a special aluminum tapeIMG_5753.jpg, something like that. That is what I used to cover my tank when my babies needed to be in 80F and 90% humidity closed chamber 23 hrs out of every day (the other hour was for the outdoors)

cleveland ohio
Ok, whatever you do please be cognizant of the very real fire risk. I’m not sure about the cardboard.... I used this special insulation material that is designed for being around heat and electricity. View attachment 242257 something like this. View attachment 242258 and to secure tjings in place there is a special aluminum tapeView attachment 242259, something like that. That is what I used to cover my tank when my babies needed to be in 80F and 90% humidity closed chamber 23 hrs out of every day (the other hour was for the outdoors)

Okay I just went on amazon an ordered something similar to those thank you!

cleveland ohio
We think so too, however it's you and all the other members that make it so.

Sorry I’m quoting a random quote but I wanted you to see the notification. So we’re nearing the end of the antibiotics that the vet gave us. Do you think we should go in for another visit and get another round of medication? Also the main reason for this post is that his eyes are still bothering him. They have both been closed and haven’t opened for a little over two days. I was rubbing them with q-tips and warm water but I stopped because I thought maybe that was irritating him. Now both eyes look as if they have been sealed over and they look closed and very dry. Should I go back in with a q-tip and try to open them? IMG_1529332179.819549.jpgIMG_1529332202.722338.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry I’m quoting a random quote but I wanted you to see the notification. So we’re nearing the end of the antibiotics that the vet gave us. Do you think we should go in for another visit and get another round of medication? Also the main reason for this post is that his eyes are still bothering him. They have both been closed and haven’t opened for a little over two days. I was rubbing them with q-tips and warm water but I stopped because I thought maybe that was irritating him. Now both eyes look as if they have been sealed over and they look closed and very dry. Should I go back in with a q-tip and try to open them? View attachment 242285View attachment 242286
Did we ever ask you what lights you have over the enclosure? Maybe your UVB light is irritating his eyes. Sand also causes the problem you're talking about.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just looked at your other thread. Are you still using that compact fluorescent bulb? If yes, then that's why your tortoise's eyes are stuck shut.

cleveland ohio
I just looked at your other thread. Are you still using that compact fluorescent bulb? If yes, then that's why your tortoise's eyes are stuck shut.

No I took out the UVB about a week ago maybe more and was solely using the heat lamp because people suggested that maybe his eyes were irritated and he had burns on the top of his head. I ordered an MVB and have been using it for about 3 days now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is it possible your MVB is too close to the tortoise? It shouldn't be any closer than 12" from the top of his back. What wattage did you buy? Try moving it up a couple or three inches higher.

cleveland ohio
Is it possible your MVB is too close to the tortoise? It shouldn't be any closer than 12" from the top of his back. What wattage did you buy? Try moving it up a couple or three inches higher.

The MVB is a little over 12 inches away from his back, but I can try and rig something together to move it up. At the moment it’s the highest it can go. I’ll need to by something that goes higher that the tanks edge. It’s a 100w bulb.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Awesome! Because of the open top I also thought it might escape but we spray his tank once over a few times a day to keep the humidity up. With the gun I measured different areas. Right under the light it’s about 85, in the middle of the tank it’s about 80, in the far end is a solid 75 (all Fahrenheit by the way). I actually put the gun up to his carapace and it ready about 81 more or less

if you have the ability , a safe , escape proof outside pen with shade , sunlight and water would help , natural sunlight and photoperiod does wonders for them physically and mentally ........

cleveland ohio
if you have the ability , a safe , escape proof outside pen with shade , sunlight and water would help , natural sunlight and photoperiod does wonders for them physically and mentally ........

I live in an apartment so I don’t have my own yard, but my girlfriend and I try to take him outside for an hour every day and at the very least every other day.

cleveland ohio
Also he still not eating guys. I’ve tried dandelions, clover (plus the little flowers that bloom, mustard greens, spinach, strawberries, tomatoes, cucumbers, store bought spring mix, and petunias. I know his eyes are still closed so maybe he can’t see the food, but still