New tortoise owner in Mich!

John C.

Location (City and/or State)
Detroit, Mich
Finally got the chance to purchase my tortoise. Jumped online for some info and stumbled upon this forum. Actually, helped me out quite a bit before I decided to join. Anyway.. I bought a girl, named her Katie. I'm really excited to watch the growth of her and having here around for a lifetime, plus some!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    856.8 KB · Views: 16

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Read all you can on here, there is sooooo much wrong info out there & this forum has been a blessing to me while raising mine! Did the place you bought her from tell you it was a girl? There really is no way to know the sex for many years! Welcome btw. Cute baby!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Follow the threads at the top of the sulcata section and you can't go wrong . Welcome!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome:) Forget whatever the pet store told you about your little sully and read, read and read some more from this forum. You can start with the threads below in my post for raising a healthy and smooth sulcata. Some torts are hatched at a higher degree to produce females. However, it's not a perfect method, so unfortunately, you won't know the true sex for a few years.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Even if your baby's egg was incubated at a higher temperature in order to make it female, there's still a chance it might be male. But no matter...you'll love him just the same.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello John C . Welcome to the TFO from AZ . Great little tort . I was born in Saginaw , MI . What are you going to do with that cute little tort in Nov . When it's 70 pds . ? Just a thought .have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

John C.

Detroit, Mich
Thank you everyone for the welcomes. Supposedly, the tortoise was vet checked for sex. I understand that it's possible it could still be a male. Like posted it will remain loved and cared for either way. I fully understand how big they can get. A local pet store has one that's 17 years old and it's a pretty decent size. Yes, I live in michigan.. So when it gets time for winter I have a full basement that will include a wood enclosed cage specially built for her/him. Summer months he/she will spend a lot of time out in the yard with us as like a human in the family.