new tortoise owner pellet question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grass Ark

5 Year Member
I took in a red footed tortoise from someone who no longer wanted it. The animal was eating romaine lettuce, sweet potatoes, occasional chicken, and store bought pellets. I know pelleted foods are typically bad but are there any decent kinds out there? I have stopped feeding her sweet potatoes but she seems to miss her pellets as she tries to eat crumbs off the floor. Just wondering if there are any good pelleted foods out there. I have access to a huge variety of pet products.

Thanks

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Mazuri is normally considered by most to be the best of the pelleted foods. Curious, why have you removed the sweet potatoes from her diet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My yellowfooted tortoises really love softened yams, so, like Jacqui, I'm curious why you've removed sweet potatoes from the redfooted tortoise's diet.

russiantortlover12

5 Year Member
I have tried both and the only thing he will eat is the mazuri which is cheaper and in my opinion better. However only feed it three times a week the rest of the time you should feed him leafy greens like collard,dandelion, and mustard greens, diversity is key so switch it up throw in so veggies from time to time and every two months feed it some fruit

Grass Ark

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Mazuri is normally considered by most to be the best of the pelleted foods. Curious, why have you removed the sweet potatoes from her diet?

I stopped feeding sweet potatoes because I havn't read that they should eat them anywhere. Is there an extended list of foods they can eat? Also, dont those pelleted foods have soybean meal in them?

Grass Ark

5 Year Member
I suppose I will just try and bump this thread although no one has responded. Why would I be feeding the grassland zoo med as opposed to the forest zoo med pellets? I haven't heard anyone even mention the forest pellets despite them being recommended for red foots.

Status
Not open for further replies.