New Tortoise Owner

TortoiseLiverpool

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool United Kingdom
Hi,

Been reading from afar for a while and wanted a tortoise for as long as I can remember. Yesterday my sisters friend, who had bought one for her little daughter, had decided they needed to find a new home for him and my sister surprised me with this little cracker. I've named him Buzz and I'm obsessed already! I'm also a bit nervous as I want to make sure i'm doing everything correctly. So far he seems like he's settling in great. Eating and drinking well, moving about and generally going about his life. There is one thing I am unsure of though, and please forgive me for my ignorance, and that is, I'm not entirely sure what breed he is? I have tried to attach a couple of images to this post, but don't seem to be succeeding. Are there any ways in which I can figure it out?

Thank you in advance and any tips/feedback I would appreciate massively.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Welcome to the forum and that is a Russian. He looks cute. I have a new Russian myself.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome

Definitely a Russian (aka Horsfield)

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes

Baby Russian Tortoise Care

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Here's the newest, up to date care sheet. Buzz is too cute! Such a pretty shell!

TortoiseLiverpool

Liverpool United Kingdom
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Really good to know you are all here for advice when I need it. The care sheets are great and there's definitely room for approvement with my set up.

Another quick question, there's a bit of a musky smell in the room I keep him in. Is this normal?

Thanks!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thank you ? I believe he is about 1. I am only assuming it's a he because the previous owner told me he was. Could be in for a surprise one day haha

That tortoise in the picture looks at least 6+ inches. It's an adult. Could be several years old or even more in my opinion. That or maybe the close up picture is playing tricks with my eyes.

I take it back. My eyes are probably playing tricks of me. What is the length of your tortoise carapace?

Last edited:

TortoiseLiverpool

Liverpool United Kingdom

That tortoise in the picture looks at least 6+ inches. It's an adult. Could be several years old or even more in my opinion. That or maybe the close up picture is playing tricks with my eyes.

I take it back. My eyes are probably playing tricks of me. What is the length of your tortoise carapace?

Haha! Yeah, I zoomed in quite a lot in the photo to get a good image. Looks a lot bigger in that photo. If I'm doing it correctly, he's about 4 inches.

KronksMom

Illinois
Welcome! Russian tortoises are wonderful, adventurous, scrappy little guys! I have one who I love very much. Try to follow that care sheet Karen posted and your little one will grow up happy and healthy :)