New tortoise set up: have I covered everything?

NicoleB

Location (City and/or State)
Highbridge
Hi all,

Sorry about the long post. I got a mediterranean spur-thighed tortoise last week. He/she is about 5 months old. I'm a complete beginner to tortoise care so I want to make sure I've covered everything!

We have him indoors in a tortoise table, using pro rep substrate. He has a combined heat/light/uv lamp which reaches about 30c in the basking spot, 20c at the far end. He has a large, shallow water bowl, a food bowl, slate for his nails and lots of hides.

We are currently feeding him dandelions but I've bought a "grow your own weed kit" and we plan on planting some tortoise friendly plants/weeds in our garden for a constant supply of food. We use nutrabol on his food daily.

I'm bathing him/her every other day for about 20 minutes and occasionally using a soft toothbrush to give him a clean.

Is there anything else we should be doing or checking?

Thanks! IMG_20190203_084512.jpg IMG_20190202_182711.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Nicole and welcome!

I'm not a fan of that substrate with the white dots in it. This may encourage your little guy to eat his substrate. My favorite substrate is small fir bark like what they manufacture for orchids. Might we see the whole enclosure including the lights?

NicoleB

Highbridge
Hi Yvonne and Thank you! :)

I have attached some pictures of the general set up. The table is 120cm long and 45cm wide.

The lamp is an exoterra reflector. The bulb is an arcadia d3 uv 100w.

I was worried about the limestone bits as I don't want him to eat his substrate. At the moment he hasn't shown any interest but I might change it just in case. It also dries out really quickly after I spray it.

IMG_20190208_170009.jpg IMG_20190208_170021.jpg IMG_20190208_170035.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hi there...

Yes i agree with Yvonne. Swap out that substrate soonest, as it only encourages bad eating behaviors and habits. You have already discovered that spraying really does nothing. Better water absorbant substrate will be a lot better. Go visit your garden centre and look for orchid bark and/or cypress mulch.

Also....there are tons of posts here on the forum regarding “better” gauges than the ones you have. Ones with probes work so much better as far as accuracy.

Add some tort friendly plants...Spider or Pothos. Sink the container down into the substrate. Make sure no pesticides or fertilizers are present - repot, drench....etc.

Lighting and heating looks like it could use some help.

I always say....”Think like a Tortoise. What would it like?”

Happy torting

Mo & Bolt

Uk
image.jpeg How gorgeous is your little one. My boys are 50 and 36 yrs old. I have only had the for 6 mths . Read my posts to see how I have been doing. They are due out of hibernation soon, I am so looking forwards to seeing them again . I can pick an assortment of fresh weeds while I am walking the dog. But for the first time in my gardening history I am planting dandelions ha ha . Enjoy your little one . Picture is of my garden