New tortoise (Which should I get?)

Renee2019

Location (City and/or State)
Buffalo, sc
I need help. Which baby tortoise do you guys think I should get? Baby Herman's or a cherry head tortoise?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
I can't really help, but what I would suggest is that you find the caresheets for both torts in the Species Specific section which will tell you all about diet, temps, substrate, humidity etc and see which species best suits your circumstances (e.g. finances, space, climate)
It's good that your researching first so that when you make your decision you can have his home already set up for him to move straight into. Members can also save you money by recommending safe bulbs and alternative equipment to pet stores who love to make sales for profit.
Good luck with your decision.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I need help. Which baby tortoise do you guys think I should get? Baby Herman's or a cherry head tortoise?
I can't help you either as Lyn W said. I've read that Hermans are like Russians. I picked a Russian because I felt from all my research that I would be able to take care of my first tortoise better. Check out humidity needs for both species. Then check your state's normal humidity and what you'll have to provide to keep them safe. That will help you decide. Good luck.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I have Leopards, Marginals, Egyptians, Herrmans , Russians, Greeks ,2 types of Box turtles , and AZ Desert torts . But what is it you want ? If it’s only space that is your problem: go with Pancake torts ! Good luck !

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I like the Redfoots myself. They're great, very personable, don't get to big, and they can eat a lot more things then most other torts.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Not at this time . But have you tried the ATC and he is a member here . And he puts his cell phone # right on his webpage.
She's not willing to pay for a baby tortoise. That's the problem. She really wants one and is expecting to get it for free. She's already hit up a bunch of breeders, many who now would not even sell to her if she were willing to pay. She's been all over Facebook asking for a free baby tortoise. She has no setup for one, and no experience with tortoises.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
She's not willing to pay for a baby tortoise. That's the problem. She really wants one and is expecting to get it for free. She's already hit up a bunch of breeders, many who now would not even sell to her if she were willing to pay. She's been all over Facebook asking for a free baby tortoise. She has no setup for one, and no experience with tortoises.
I'm not a breeder and she asked me for money to buy a tortoise. Whatever...

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
There's something fishy about this person. She was all over every Tortoise group on FB trying to get a free Tortoise. She came on here using a different name, asking and posting ridiculous things, and not taking the advice people where giving her. She left here and popped up in a Redfoot group I'm in trying to get someone to give her an egg. I don't know, but my BS meter is going off the charts with this person.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I'm not a breeder and she asked me for money to buy a tortoise. Whatever...
Wow, that is nuts! Just because she "really really wants it" does not mean that she's entitled to it. And when people try to help educate her or ask about any type of enclosure, she would respond with "that's none of your business." So she wants a free baby tortoise without anybody inquiring if she's able to provide for it. That's not how the real world works!

Keeping a tortoise is more expensive than the cost of buying it. When someone cannot even afford to buy it, how do they expect to afford to care for it? That's how I see it.

I have noticed it's been a week since she was on this Forum so she likely figured she won't get what she wants and she's moved on to the next Facebook group or website.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
There's something fishy about this person. She was all over every Tortoise group on FB trying to get a free Tortoise. She came on here using a different name, asking and posting ridiculous things, and not taking the advice people where giving her. She left here and popped up in a Redfoot group I'm in trying to get someone to give her an egg. I don't know, but my BS meter is going off the charts with this person.
Lol! Yeah, and she was expecting to get the egg for free too! When I told her there's only one breeder in the entire country who ships fertile eggs, and they cost $300+shipping, she said "that's outrageous." Well, welcome to the world of tortoise keeping! Pets and hobbies aren't free! Plus with the egg she needs to get an incubator to care for it until hatches, and of course she can't afford one.

Randy Betz and Chris Leone won't have anything to do with her. She's bothered them so much they told her off and ignore her now. So she's ruining any chance of ever getting a baby tortoise from a breeder, even if she were to come up with the money - the most reputable breeders will not sell to her now.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Wow, that is nuts! Just because she "really really wants it" does not mean that she's entitled to it. And when people try to help educate her or ask about any type of enclosure, she would respond with "that's none of your business." So she wants a free baby tortoise without anybody inquiring if she's able to provide for it. That's not how the real world works!

Keeping a tortoise is more expensive than the cost of buying it. When someone cannot even afford to buy it, how do they expect to afford to care for it? That's how I see it.

I have noticed it's been a week since she was on this Forum so she likely figured she won't get what she wants and she's moved on to the next Facebook group or website.
I don't really block people usually but she's blocked. And another person too. I'm on Tortoise Forum because My tortoise needs honest information. I've found it and really love the communication with other dedicated owners that can give me insight. As bad as Facebook is I hope nobody falls for that scammer or scammers.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I don't really block people usually but she's blocked. And another person too. I'm on Tortoise Forum because My tortoise needs honest information. I've found it and really love the communication with other dedicated owners that can give me insight. As bad as Facebook is I hope nobody falls for that scammer or scammers.

Is she a scammer or a young adult . The reason I ask is we mead to help the young people out there to learn this hobby . ( I’m not saying your wrong ) But please keep in mind that if a year from now . When a new person reads this are they going to say “ boy these people are mean . And don’t worry I don’t sell my baby’s so I wouldn’t give one away for free . But please come down . And don’t let some people make you mad . Have fun and enjoy the TFO . [emoji217]

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Is she a scammer or a young adult . The reason I ask is we mead to help the young people out there to learn this hobby . ( I’m not saying your wrong ) But please keep in mind that if a year from now . When a new person reads this are they going to say “ boy these people are mean . And don’t worry I don’t sell my baby’s so I wouldn’t give one away for free . But please come down . And don’t let some people make you mad . Have fun and enjoy the TFO . [emoji217]
I was wondering if she is a child. I'm not upset or mad at her. I didn't respond at all after the request for money. I really hope she isn't scamming but I also think it's not mean for me to be alarmed at that kind of behavior. Child or adult.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Is she a scammer or a young adult . The reason I ask is we mead to help the young people out there to learn this hobby . ( I’m not saying your wrong ) But please keep in mind that if a year from now . When a new person reads this are they going to say “ boy these people are mean . And don’t worry I don’t sell my baby’s so I wouldn’t give one away for free . But please come down . And don’t let some people make you mad . Have fun and enjoy the TFO .
emoji217.png
I agree you are right. I do really enjoy the TFO. I would always rather encourage new owners because I had a lack of knowledge when I got my tortoise. It's frightening not knowing how to truely help. I apologize.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Is she a scammer or a young adult . The reason I ask is we mead to help the young people out there to learn this hobby . ( I’m not saying your wrong ) But please keep in mind that if a year from now . When a new person reads this are they going to say “ boy these people are mean . And don’t worry I don’t sell my baby’s so I wouldn’t give one away for free . But please come down . And don’t let some people make you mad . Have fun and enjoy the TFO .
emoji217.png
I agree you are right. I do really enjoy the TFO. I would always rather encourage new owners because I had a lack of knowledge when I got my tortoise. It's frightening not knowing how to truely help. I apologize.