new tortoise with pink eye

DustyQrow

Location (City and/or State)
Bronx
Hello i recently picked up a tortoise from backwater reptiles and it came with this pink bump under the eye. I have the tortoise in a 40 gallon enclosure with the sides covered in black paper so he doesnt run into the glass. im feeding them mixed greens and dusting with vitamins and calcium every other feeding
YRo1ABG.jpg

daniellenc

Maryland
Is there one or two torts in that 40 gallon? You used “them” so I’m confused. Two torts can never live happily together and will injure each other eventually. Was that present when you received the animal? Have you contacted the breeder? Most will take the animal back or pay the vet bills but it looks like an abscess and may require a vet which is pricey.

DustyQrow

Bronx
Is there one or two torts in that 40 gallon? You used “them” so I’m confused. Two torts can never live happily together and will injure each other eventually. Was that present when you received the animal? Have you contacted the breeder? Most will take the animal back or pay the vet bills but it looks like an abscess and may require a vet which is pricey.
The tortoise is living alone. I used them cause I dont know if its a boy of girl. I contacted the place and they swear the animal must have picked it up when it was shipped which they arent responsible for and claim that when you purchase the animal your responsible for any damage they may take from shipping if they dont out right die. I had never had this situation happen before when dealing with a reptile site. I made a reddit post before i bought it and tons of people said it was a good place and its quickly turning out to be the opposite for me.

daniellenc

Maryland
That’s not from shipping nor a breeder I have heard stellar reviews from but I have no personal experience myself. One clue when purchasing is reading their policy. Policies that only cover DOA’s are red flags. First please get their refusal in writing. Did you snap a picture out of the box time stamped by any chance? If so post it everywhere. It will never be worth your time or money to pursue it legally but warning others is worth it.

Other than that others will chime in with home care I’m no tort expert. I work in human healthcare so keep it clean and dry for sure. I’m just not sure about tort safe topicals and antibiotics.

DustyQrow

Bronx
That’s not from shipping nor a breeder I have heard stellar reviews from but I have no personal experience myself. One clue when purchasing is reading their policy. Policies that only cover DOA’s are red flags. First please get their refusal in writing. Did you snap a picture out of the box time stamped by any chance? If so post it everywhere. It will never be worth your time or money to pursue it legally but warning others is worth it.

Other than that others will chime in with home care I’m no tort expert. I work in human healthcare so keep it clean and dry for sure. I’m just not sure about tort safe topicals and antibiotics.
I will make sure whenever i see posts about them to share my experience with others. Once i get a good idea of what it is from others on here ill go forward with how to care for it. I really appreciate your input and help.