New tortoise won't eat

AbramTankLover

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Little update: he's eating like a horse. He loves various squashes , kale, collard and mixed greens. Still not too sure about his tortoise food though I'm sure He will with time. He loves to stick his head under the water when I soak him. Guess I'm not too bad of a tortoise mom after all. Thank you for all your help!

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Glad to hear he's eating now!

As Tom mentioned you may want to look into upgrading his enclosure size, and if your UV bulb is a coil CFL, get rid of it and get a tube version [emoji846]

DancesWithDinosaurs

USA
Also , can't keep fresh grass in with him because it's winter in Illinois there's no grass anywhere. What can I do to keep him healthy til the grass grows?
Hi, easy to grow grass in pots or trays. Sprouts fast. Be sure to buy non GMO organic grass seeds. Grow herbs and flowers approved for torts diets too. Don't leave food in for ling periods of time. Best wishes. A great place to learn via videos is YouTube channel called Kamp Kennan. Forget if it's 1 or 2 "K's" in Kennan. He has a second channel called "Kenans Army." If u pay 3.00 a month to join the army, he'll post some of your video's and answer questions. People in comments are helpful too. God bless torts, turtles and the people that cherish them!

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Hello everyone! New member and new to tortoises, I received my first torty yesterday he's sleeping ALOT ((but I read here that's normal)) and he hasn't eaten yet. I'm slightly worried. He's got a heat lamp, as well as a UV. I keep his tank as humid as I can. Is he just not eating because he's in a new place? I keep collard greens, kale, and moist tortoise food in with him and soak him in hot water at least 10 minutes a day. He's a 6 month old Ivory Sulcata named Abram ((pictured being adorable in the tub soaking))

View attachment 229666
Hi, Just wanted to add that when I got my tort from Pet Smart about a year ago, he was the same way. Not very active, would sleep quite a bit and refused to eat. When I took him to the vet, he had parasites galore. Gave him worming med from vet and she started eating like crazy, so she wasn't feeling very well when I bought her. Just something you might want to do is take a stool sample in and let the vet check it out. A few parasites I believe are normal and won't hurt them, but my tort was infested. Now after about a year and a clean bill of health she seems to have almost doubled in size, loves to eat and is quite happy, I think.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
I keep it about 90-95 in the hottest part of his enclosure. I ordered him from tortoise town
tortoise town........
Someones tortoise died from breeder failure syndrome like a week ago, they got it from tortoise town.

And regarding the tortoise; Mine didn't eat for a week. He really didn't he just sat there and slept. When I moved him to a huge christmas tree tote, he started eating a bit more, he still didn't like, move around for a while. I took him outside and BOOM! HE ate, he pooped, peed, everything! So now I take him out once a day, for an hour. and he does alot of his business out there. Now he walks around his enclosure, and does everything in his enclosure.

Moral of the story: Tortoise town sucks. And Just wait, he needs some time to get used to his enclosure, if he still doesnt eat after like 2 weeks....
Well.. .. who knows? Its tortoise town..

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Warning, do not count on anything you get from Kamp Kennen, he dose not raise torts the correct way. Some of his stuff is ok but some is bad. Count on what you get from here. This forum has the most up to date info writen by exsperts in the field. They have done much research and learnings. I would not go on the internet for my info. Most of that info is outdated and wrong. Good luck with your baby.