New tortoise

Tweeter066

5 Year Member
I really want to get more tortoises I have 3 red footed and 1 Russian the place has russian tortoise, forest hingeback tortoise, Sulcata tortoise red/yellow foot tortoise coming in soon I would like a friendly tortoise I don't really want another red footed but if i could get a male I could breed my other tortoises. I would also like a community species like red foots yellow foots and burmese mountain. But any tortoises would be cool I have a huge tortoise table and a big back yard. They will also be getting Greeks and was wondering if all kinds of Greeks could live together.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I'm not positive, but I think members discourage mixing subspecies to prevent hybridizing. I am not completely sure though.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Tweeter066, Welcome and I am glad you love tortoises and found this forum because this is the best place to discuss and learn about these magical creatures. The big icky about your tortoise collection is that it seems that they are all together, possibly? from reading your post. Are they? Or are they in different enclosures based on their continents of origin? Mixing species is a very debated topic BUT I have to say in my opinion from all I have read, it makes sense to not mix species. EVER. You can have a collection die off when the Russian roulette pistol suddenly fires. One of our experts on the forum Yvonne said it perfectly to someone else. It's like when the Europeans came to America and suddenly all the true native Americans got sick and died. The Europeans came with all sorts of things that were not only foreign to this land, but also proved to be deadly because the true native Americans did not have the defenses in their immune system to defend themselves from the foreign bodies/bacterias. Also, different tortoises from different continents also require different care, so that also comes in to play. Sooooo, we love ya for loving tortoises but I, my humble opinion, do not love the mixee specie thingee. I worry for your babies. : )

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Tweeter066, Welcome and I am glad you love tortoises and found this forum because this is the best place to discuss and learn about these magical creatures. The big icky about your tortoise collection is that it seems that they are all together, possibly? from reading your post. Are they? Or are they in different enclosures based on their continents of origin? Mixing species is a very debated topic BUT I have to say in my opinion from all I have read, it makes sense to not mix species. EVER. You can have a collection die off when the Russian roulette pistol suddenly fires. One of our experts on the forum Yvonne said it perfectly to someone else. It's like when the Europeans came to America and suddenly all the true native Americans got sick and died. The Europeans came with all sorts of things that were not only foreign to this land, but also proved to be deadly because the true native Americans did not have the defenses in their immune system to defend themselves from the foreign bodies/bacterias. Also, different tortoises from different continents also require different care, so that also comes in to play. Sooooo, we love ya for loving tortoises but I, my humble opinion, do not love the mixee specie thingee. I worry for your babies. : )

100% agree with what BeeBee shared. It is a big NO NO to mix all different tortoise together. The big EVER are the best thing you can to for your tortoise.

Tweeter066

5 Year Member
All my red foots live together in there table and the Russian has a different table.

Oh and I would never mix species from different climates. But I would of thought that elongated yellow foots red foots and burmese tortoises could all live together because there all from the same climate.

I wasn't sure about the hingeback though

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some species of tortoise do better in groups than others. Most of the testudo species are strict loners, chasing away any interloper from the territory. In my experience the RF and YF and Asian tortoises seem to get along ok in groups. But you always must have in the back of your mind to keep an eye on them and watch for bullying. The bullied underdog could waste away and die from it.