New Tortoises' Eyes Black and Shut? + some questions :D

Ershad

Location (City and/or State)
Qatar
np4d2kxcrf921.jpg

49727985_241093150125673_859188197312167936_n-jpg.261790

Hello!

So I just got these guys yesterday at a local pet shop here in Qatar, and they say these little guys came from Thailand, but didn't know what kind of tortoise it really is, and the temporary little place we have for them now kind of worries me, so, here are my questions.

1. What kind of tortoises are these?
- I really have no idea, except that they said they're from Thailand...

2. What can I do about their eyes?
- The last time I saw them open was yesterday, and they haven't moved at all since, worries me...

3. Why are they not eating?
- This is a bit embarrassing, given by the size of the carrots my dad gave them, but I have no idea, haha :D

4. Do they need some sort of light?
- UV lights I heard?

5. Any tips on how to take care of these guys?
- Anything would be appreciated, thank you :DD

If you know if there's anything I can do, please tell me.
:D

49727985_241093150125673_859188197312167936_n.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
There are a lot of things that need to be changed ASAP. These are either Hermann’s or Greeks. Give this a read
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

-your enclosure is much too small. They should be in a minimum of about 90x45 centimeters, and even then bigger is a lot better.

-tortoises are solitary, territorial animals that should not be kept in pairs. They need to be separated.

-that substrate is much too dry, and a huge impaction risk. It needs to be changed to coco coir, fine grade orchid bark, or cypress mulch.

-you are feeding the wrong foods. They can’t digest sugar, so carrots shouldn’t be fed often, and they should be eating weeds from outside.

-your tortoises are likely much too cold. You need a heat lamp hanging from above with a basking spot of 35-38 degrees Celsius. Your tortoises will not eat unless they have the proper temperatures to digest their food.

-you need a tube uvb light:

-you need multiple hides

-get a terra cotta saucer for the water bowl.

These changes need to be made immediately. You can find most of these in the garden center of your local hardware store. In the future, please do research before buying a pet, and at the very least know what species you’re getting.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those don't come from Thailand. I'll send a shout-out to @HermanniChris to see if he can identify them for you.

1. Greek or Hermanns
2. They're probably too cold.
3. When a tortoise is too cold for the food to digest, they don't eat. Also, they don't eat when their eyes are closed.
4. Yes, I like to use the tube type fluorescent UVB bulb
5. Once hermanniChris identifies them as either hermanns or greek, or whatever, you can go to that species' section and read the care sheet.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
There a bit to dark to be Hermmans or Greeks, the eyes look a bit swollen to me. You and your dad could always build a tortoise table for the time being, you can find a lot of different ones online:D

Ben