tortoiselife

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi Everyone,

I want to share my completed turtle pond and stream with everyone and I am looking for comments or concerns. I want to soon house and breed Spotted Turtle and maybe African Dwarf Mud Turtles. The pond is about 1500 gallons and ranges from 4000-8000 gph. There is a shelf around the perimeter of the pond that is about 12 inches deep and then the pond goes to a maximin depth of 3.5 feet. It has two large caves at the bottom (around 2 x 2' each) and other small ledges. The stream is 37' and winds up to the top where the water is pumped and filters through 6 crates of bio balls, lava rock, and gravel. 2 crates were recommended for the size but I maxed it out at 6. The stream is up to 3 inches deep and has plenty of cover, bogs, wading area and plants to hide in and around. The pond has two beaches and under the larger beach I dug down about 2 feet and mixed in organic 50/50 soil with sand and then topped with sand for future egg laying. I have a group of 9 adult Radiated torts that surround the area and roam freely.

My concern is the depth of the pond (too deep?) for Spotted. Turtle wondering outside pond & possibly making contact w/Radiated.

When the pond is ready and safe, I'm looking for a breeding group or well started group of Spotted. I want to keep genetic diversity in mind.

Thank you for your comments in advance! John

Attachments

• 68090102042__F6D82C6F-40B2-4BF6-A5C0-2AA8D9900283.jpg
    68090102042__F6D82C6F-40B2-4BF6-A5C0-2AA8D9900283.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 15
  • tort 1.jpg
    tort 1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3557.jpg
    IMG_3557.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3554.jpg
    IMG_3554.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3136.jpg
    IMG_3136.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2653.jpg
    IMG_2653.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 15
  • tort 7.jpg
    tort 7.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 16
  • tort 6.jpg
    tort 6.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 16
  • tort 5.jpg
    tort 5.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 15
  • tort 4.jpg
    tort 4.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
  • tort 3.jpg
    tort 3.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
  • pond full view.jpg
    pond full view.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 16

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi John! That is just beautiful!!! Have you seem Markw84's pond? He raises the spotteds and he would be a good one to talk to about you r proposed group I'll send him an alert - @Markw84

tortoiselife

Southern California
Hi John! That is just beautiful!!! Have you seem Markw84's pond? He raises the spotteds and he would be a good one to talk to about you r proposed group I'll send him an alert - @Markw84
Thanks Yvonne! I just checked out Markw's pond on your suggestion. Wow! What an amazing set up for turtles and torts. I loved it and it inspired me to do more! I did reach out to Mark and he was very nice and helpful but unfortunately he's not letting any go right now. However, I will reach out to him in the future for advice or tips on the Spotted once I get some (lol). I have found babies available from different breeders online but I would have to raise up in tubs for a while until they get bigger and stronger for a pond. I will consider doing just that but will try to obtain some adults or subadults in the meantime.

Thank you!

tortoiselife

Southern California
I really like the look of that setup!
Thanks Zeropilot, I appreciate it. I really tried to give them a natural environment and kind of close to home. If you look close, there are a lot of plants from Madagascar incorporated in the yard. Several Madagascar Palms and a couple of others. All edible and non toxic just in case. Thanks again