New user, new to tortoises!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaberJess

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

I have kept reptiles for years, mostly snakes and lizards, always wanted a tortoise. I was so afraid about how difficult they would be too keep though...so I took my time and did a lot of research. I finally adopted a red foot tortoise from Petco, I was so excited to have him! He looked very healthy, aside from some pyramiding that was probably caused my a diet of pellets -_- I put him into his new home and he seemed very happy. The next morning I woke up and found him dead. I was crushed I cried all day, I brought him back to petsmart and got my money back.

I have to assume he was sick when I got him and maybe the stress of being put into a new home sent him over the edge. Rest in peace little guy, I would have done my absolute best to care for you :(

But the story does get happier...after my experience I realized I never should have purchased from a pet store, so I found a breeder online who ships captive bred tortoises pretty much anywhere in the US. I am getting an baby Ibera Greek in the mail tomorrow morning. I cleaned everything and got all new bedding since the death of my first tort, so everything is ready for his arrival. I am very excited, going to name him Jericho.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum:) Sorry to hear about your first tort :( what is your enclosure like how do you have it setup for your Greek that's coming?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi SaberJess:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

So sorry about the Redfoot. At least you were able to get your money back. No consolation, I know.

Be sure to shoot us some pictures when you get your new little baby.

SaberJess

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi SaberJess:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

So sorry about the Redfoot. At least you were able to get your money back. No consolation, I know.

Be sure to shoot us some pictures when you get your new little baby.

My name is Jessica :) and I'm from New York

coreyc said:
Welcome to the forum:) Sorry to hear about your first tort :( what is your enclosure like how do you have it setup for your Greek that's coming?

I have a Zoo Med tortoise home
Cypress bedding
Humid hide that stays around 90 percent humidity, the rest of the enclosure is dry.
Full spectrum light
Basking light for a basking area that stays around 95 degrees
I got him a cuddle bone and spring mix with a few small cucumber pieces thrown in for variety. Plan to dust that with calcium powder a few times a week.
Once he gets bigger I am planning on moving him into a storage bin of some kind with more space :) he's only 2.5 inches right now!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Welcome and enjoy the site. Probably any question that you can ask, can be answered by one of these folks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Greeks are really nice tortoises. Can't wait to see pics.

S

Stewerd

My name is Stewerd Blair and i am a pet lover.I have also tortoise in my zoo which is in my forum house.I am here to share all the information which I have related to tortoise.

SamC

5 Year Member
Hiya, I'm new too! Only had my tort for a week! This site is so friendly and helpful x

Status
Not open for further replies.