New, with lots of questions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewSulcataMom

5 Year Member
First, let me apologize in advance for all the questions. I didn't get much info out of the breeder and google comes up with a lot of different information.
I've had my baby sulcata for just a few days, not sure exact age but she measures about 2-2 1/2 inches from front to back of shell. I currently have her in a 10 gal tank (will be moved to bigger space once I no longer have to keep her hidden from my daughter as she is a birthday present) substrate used is coconut coir, slightly damp, humidity measures 55-60%. Overhead tube UVB light, 75 inch basking light with a more focused beam to keep one corner a bit hotter.
She was pretty lethargic when I first got her and only peps up on occasion, most of all after soaking or when outside. But returns back to previous state shortly after. My first main concern is that she doesn't seem interested in food. Won't walk to it and when placed near it she either just sits there or walks away. I have free access to grass hay but she's too young for that from what I've read. So the pass 2 days she's been given romain and turnip greens. Does anyone know of any grasses in the ohio area that she could eat? Ill be ordering seeds to home grow specific types tomorrow. My other concern is she has a white "bump" on her neck. Breeder said calcium deposit but I've been unable to find any info about it. Has anyone else seen this type of thing?
Now to my list of basic questions:
Is humidity ok at 55-60%? I've read everything from 50-80.
What should night temps be at? Seen 60-85
How long should the UVB light remain on every day?
Does she need calcium supp.? If so, any recommendations?
Would baby food carrot/water soaks be beneficial to her? Mainly concerned about lack of energy and wondering if that could help.

Think that's about it for now, but I'm sure I'll find more questions. Thanks in advance. :)

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utica. MI
hello! im so happy to hear you picked out a sully, i know youve probably heard this a million times, but they are not just a walk in the park, they take a lot of time and energy to raise a healthy one, just like a kid haha i still call my tortoise my child, even though i have a son haha. however, you are totally in the right place when it comes to asking questions! Tortoise forums are they best place to be =]

The warmer the temps the better, 60 being the coolest!!! dont get below 60, thats the coolest they should be from what ive read and in my own experience, and i would use a calcium supplement for sure being so young and little, and as for grasses, i let mine eat anything they want out of my yard (anything that wont harm them i mean!) as long as its NOT fertilized AT ALL!! we dont fertilize our whole lawn anymore just to be safe. but even just grass out of the yard is a step in the right direction, one grass that my torts love is wheat grass you buy from the store, my tort rarely ever gets it, but as a special treat we will buy it for him lol but you have to be careful about the fertilizer and all that stuff still.

as for everything else, i dont want to give you false info, but would definitely up the humidity, especially after you read through http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-15137.html that post, its all about pyramiding and humidity and temps, its very informational, a gentleman by the name of Tom posted it on the forums and its research done by him, so he would be the person to go to if you have any more questions =]

also, the white bump? keep an eye on it for now, but id get it checked out if it looks painful or anything, but a calcium deposit ont he neck doesnt sound right. but then again ive never had that problem.

good luck! hope i helped =]

bigjohn

5 Year Member
Check out the important threads under tom should tell you what you need to know

NewSulcataMom

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376592796.935021.jpg
Here's the clearest pic I have gotten so far. But in it you can slightly see the white bump I mentioned. Thanks for the info!! I was going to get my daughter some aquatic turtles but fell in love with this little girl instantly. I think once I have learned all I need to know about her then her care will seem a bit easier. The most difficult part is knowing what to do/not to do. So any advice/tips is greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
She will need more heat since she is so small and probably higher humidity. Do you have a heat lamp on her at all times? I have a black ceramic heat lamp that I leave on half of Lily's habitat 24/7 and she is about a year and a half old. The other half of habitat has a UVB light on for 12hrs. Our Lily is most active at 76 plus degrees. My thermostat is set at 65 at night but she also has the heat lamp on her sleeping box end. We don't take her outside unless it is at least 70 degrees. If they are too cold they won't eat as their digestive system can't operate.

NewSulcataMom

5 Year Member
I got the humidity up. It's at 82%, was aiming for 80 but guess I went a little overboard. With the heat light she has now, half the tank is at 80 degrees and the other at 97. After turning it off last night it only dropped to 74. But I set my house on 77 or I freeze. Lol. Think ill still go purchase a CHE for night use since winter is just around the corner and I've heard a lot of good things bout them.

Here's some better pictures of the little girl (be nice once my daughter gives her a name)
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376657137.048330.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376657196.763278.jpg

The second one is a better picture of the bump on her neck if anyone has any idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
The humidity is good, but you need to keep the enclosure warm with that high of humidity.

Humidity + warm = smooth, happy tort. Humidity + cool = sick tort (respiratory issues)

With humidity, you need to make sure the enclosure stays at or above 80 degrees. At night, when you need darkness, a CHE is often the perfect solution. Better yet, buy a thermostat for it and set for ~80. It will most likely never turn on during the day when you have other things going, but its good back up in case anything ever blows while you're away.

I don't know about basking temperatures for sulcatas, but that is something you should make sure you are reaching at some place in his cage so she/he can properly warm up and digest food. You need to know four temperatures: Warm side, cool side, basking spot, and night time low.

UVB should stay on as long as you want your tort's "day" to be. I've seen 8-14 hours a day. Some supervised outside time in a safe enclosure also has some great benefits (once your gift has been revealed!).

A calcium supplement sprinkled on his/her food a couple times a week helps a growing a tort. Do a couple forum searches and see what's recommended and available in your area. With calcium supplements, some topics of concern (with varying opinions) is phosphorus:calcium ratio and addition/exclusion of vitamin D3.

Once again, I too, recommend Tom's threads concerning raising your sully in the Hot & Humid way.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
i don't see where anyone has addressed your concern about the bump on the neck! you may want to post a specific question under "Tortoise Health".

just curious about how much longer you have to keep secret about your daughters birthday gift? i would of already "spilled the beans"! you picked out a beautiful little guy/girl and i think it's great that your daughter and tort will grow up together!

NewSulcataMom

5 Year Member
Her party is next weekend and ill be revealing her then, as well as hopefully getting a name. Thanks though, ill definitely do that since its seemed to get a bit bigger.

Tabby

Status
Not open for further replies.