New with question

tinsel

Location (City and/or State)
long island
I have a Russian and have just built a wood box. I was going to put a section with Forest Floor Cypress mulch - which is what she has been on, a section of river rocks and a section of soil bc when I take her outside in the summer she loves to burrow in the soil. Can't find any chemical free soil right now. Bought plantation soil and was going to use that for now. I mist her everyday. Does that all sound OK. I have no experience - just been reading online.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You came to the right place for information. if you can't find pesticide free clean soil then use coconut coir. Keep the substrate slightly moist but not soaking wet. please post a picture of your tortoise and the enclosure. We love pictures and it will help us give you more advice.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Coco Coir is often called plantation soil. Sounds like you're on the right track. Pictures will help us give better feedback.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
You can try the river rocks but i have and after while, the dirt just gets mixed in.... No matter how many times i clean it lol the plantation soil and mulch are great to mix together or just use on half the enclosure but you'll still get the dirt mixed in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

tinsel

long island
Here are two pictures of our new tank. Would love any critiques of how we set it up. There is cypress mulch in 3 trays, river rocks in one and plantain soil in the other two. I was concerned about heating it properly because it is so big. I have 3 thermometers and the temperature seems ok.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
table2.jpg table3.jpg I can tell alot of TLC went into that! Look at the wall! LOL!
I've tried a few things but now stick with Zilla Jungle Mix. my babies are small and need humidity so it works great and doesn't stick to them because it's kept moist. Drier applications could have different results. I love your setup. I'm rethinking mine because the humidity keeps the window fogged and I can't enjoy looking at them as much as i would like.

Last edited: