New Yard For Baby Manouria

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Several years ago I kept one of the Manouria emys phayrei that hatched here, and sold the rest. When it was big enough to go outside I threw together a little pen for it on the edge of the big Manourias' area. I've since sold that tortoise, and the little pen has been vacant for a couple years:

Manouria yard 5-24-17 a.jpg Manouria yard 5-24-17 b.jpg

Last year Will hatched out quite a few Manouria emys phayrei and a couple had aberrant scutes. I asked him to hold onto those two for me, then a month or so later I bought a hatchling Mep from Vic Morgan. The two and the new one are a month apart in age. I also have a three year old Mep that I kept from the last batch that hatched here on my property before the factory moved to San Diego to live with Will. These tortoises have been living in a tort table inside the Mep now Mee shed and it's time for them to move outside. So I reconditioned the little pen:

Manouria yard 5-24-17 c.jpg Manouria yard 5-24-17 d.jpg Manouria yard 5-24-17 e.jpg

I have some dichondra seed that I'll sprinkle over the dirt in there, plus some Johnny Jump Up seed. Hopefully I can get the seeds to grow and cover the bare dirt.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good thing you didn't take it apart. So are we hoping the two are female and the one from Vic is a male?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That would indeed be nice, huh? To tell the truth, I didn't really give a thought to their sex. Now I'm hoping from your mouth to the tortoise god's ear!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
That would indeed be nice, huh? To tell the truth, I didn't really give a thought to their sex. Now I'm hoping from your mouth to the tortoise god's ear!
I have two (5.25lb)Almost 3 year olds. If it turns out I have two males maybe we can make a trade someday...

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Did you build the enclosure for the MEPs and MEEs or did someone else help? This is the way I'm going to do mine....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I build all my enclosures. My tortoise partner,Will, helps me with rehab and repair, but I did all the original planning and building on my own. The mep and mee each had their own space. When Will took the mep home to San Diego I moved the mee over to the mep's space, then enlarged the RF space incorporating the old mee space.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Several years ago I kept one of the Manouria emys phayrei that hatched here, and sold the rest. When it was big enough to go outside I threw together a little pen for it on the edge of the big Manourias' area. I've since sold that tortoise, and the little pen has been vacant for a couple years:

View attachment 208397 View attachment 208398

Last year Will hatched out quite a few Manouria emys phayrei and a couple had aberrant scutes. I asked him to hold onto those two for me, then a month or so later I bought a hatchling Mep from Vic Morgan. The two and the new one are a month apart in age. I also have a three year old Mep that I kept from the last batch that hatched here on my property before the factory moved to San Diego to live with Will. These tortoises have been living in a tort table inside the Mep now Mee shed and it's time for them to move outside. So I reconditioned the little pen:

View attachment 208399 View attachment 208400 View attachment 208401

I have some dichondra seed that I'll sprinkle over the dirt in there, plus some Johnny Jump Up seed. Hopefully I can get the seeds to grow and cover the bare dirt.
Love it, Yvonne! I like the idea of ground cover for their little stubby feet. Is dichondra safe should they choose to graze on it? I thought it was morning glory family and that one was listed as "no feed" in tort table??? I don't know, I maybe wrong. My memory is going, too:)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Love it, Yvonne! I like the idea of ground cover for their little stubby feet. Is dichondra safe should they choose to graze on it? I thought it was morning glory family and that one was listed as "no feed" in tort table??? I don't know, I maybe wrong. My memory is going, too:)

Dichondra is safe to have available as food in an outdoor free choice setting. If they decide they like it, it will be difficult to keep.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Dichondra is safe to have available as food in an outdoor free choice setting. If they decide they like it, it will be difficult to keep.
Thanks Will. I haven't finished the inside of my RF Garden due to limitations of good groundcover for this enclosure location. I wish I could cover the whole thing in between plants with nice puffy moss... ahhh! Too hot here for that