New Year's Day feast for my forest tortoises

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
IMG_20200101_100942.jpg

My forest torts are enjoying the above meal today...

• Mushrooms
  • Papaya
  • Strawberries
  • Banana
  • Reptilink
  • Dried rosebuds
  • Rehydrated wakame (seaweed)
I gave my Russian some of everything but the fruit and the reptilinks, served on a bed of greens and herbs.

Everyone was hungry and dug right in....

Jamie

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
They had raw shrimp today, shells on... my Redfoot was incredibly enthusiastic.

View attachment 284974
Hmmm. Wish I could afford to buy shrimp for my human family! Here in Jamaica it's very expensive.
I wonder if redfoots in their natural forest environment, go "fishing" in the shallow streams for shrimp or crayfish...maybe they do.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Hmmm. Wish I could afford to buy shrimp for my human family! Here in Jamaica it's very expensive.
I wonder if redfoots in their natural forest environment, go "fishing" in the shallow streams for shrimp or crayfish...maybe they do.

The shrimp for my torts cost 32 cents at my market... I think there are freshwater shrimp and crayfish in most river systems around the world (or at least that's what I'm telling myself).

J

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
I read an article somewhere online that was observing wild redfoots and it said that they did fish. I can't find the article for the life of me, but from what I remember it sounded like some research associates basically went out and watched tortoises for a few days so the accuracy of their observations could be questionable. I know ours has absolutely no issues grabbing floating food out of the water and other owners have talked about them catching geckos etc. so I would think there is a good chance they would try grabbing a crayfish if the opportunity arose.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I read an article somewhere online that was observing wild redfoots and it said that they did fish. I can't find the article for the life of me, but from what I remember it sounded like some research associates basically went out and watched tortoises for a few days so the accuracy of their observations could be questionable. I know ours has absolutely no issues grabbing floating food out of the water and other owners have talked about them catching geckos etc. so I would think there is a good chance they would try grabbing a crayfish if the opportunity arose.
Totally! But they better keep an eye out for those snapping turtles...!!!