New Yellow Foot Mom

Wendy Proulx

Location (City and/or State)
Chesapeake VA
I have purchased my very first tortoise, a beautiful yellow foot. He is about 4 months old. I am learning a lot about him, but there are a lot of conflicting information on the web and I am hoping that you all will be able to help me keep this little guy healthy. I have him on cypress mulch with moss and multiple plants surrounded by soil. I can only get my humidity it between 40-50%. My temp seems to be doing well in the tank and he is eating well. I have heard that the humidity is not an issue, but it looks like everyone talks about it being very important. He has been getting daily soaks to keep him hydrated. How am I doing so far? Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_2390.JPG
    IMG_2390.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
High humidity is very important for a young yellow footed tortoise. Can you cover the top with something to help hold the moisture inside. Aluminum foil works fine.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Welcome to the forum Wendy. Humidity is very much needed. Maybe a top covering will help. Remember, yellowfoots are one of the most tropical forest floor tortoises. They live in damp, usually shaded and not so bright environments. Not dark but subdued. Rarely do they see dryness.

Wendy Proulx

Chesapeake VA
How high ideally do I need to get the humidity? What is the correct watt of bulb for UVB? I have a 100 W UVB now along with 100 W Regular light heat bulb and a 100 W Red night time heat bulb. Trying to get more plants in the the tank to have more shade. I already love this little thing and I want him to be ok