New York man charged in largest seizure of illegal reptiles in state history, officials say

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
New York man charged in largest seizure of illegal reptiles in state history, officials say
BY ABC News Radio | July 5, 2019
pastedGraphic_1.jpg
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation

(ALLEGANY, N.Y.) — A 71-year-old New York man faces a slew of charges after officials seized hundreds of turtles and three king cobras from his home, authorities said.

The seizure is believed to be the largest illegal reptiles bust in New York state history.

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Commissioner Basil Seggos announced Wednesday that William Engelder, 71, of Allegany, was charged with reckless endangerment, illegal sale of wildlife, overdriving, torturing and injuring animals, illegal possession and transportation of venomous reptiles, illegal possession of wild animals as pets and possessing an endangered species without a permit, among other offenses.

State wildlife officers seized the reptiles while conducting a search warrant at Engelder’s home last August after receiving a tip about a man harboring illegal animals, according to a press release from the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.

Among the reptiles authorities say were illegally housed at the residence were three king cobras, the longest venomous snake in the world, and six Gila monsters, a species of venomous lizard.

There were also 184 spotted turtles, 53 wood turtles, 28 Blanding’s turtles, 17 bog turtles, which is a critically endangered species native to New York, six snapping turtles and two painted turtles.

If convicted on all charges, Engelder faces up to a maximum fine of $104,000 and up to 33 years in prison.

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
There were also 184 spotted turtles, 53 wood turtles, 28 Blanding’s turtles, 17 bog turtles, which is a critically endangered species native to New York, six snapping turtles and two painted turtles.

when you buy a 20+ yr old turtle for a couple hundred bucks , it's doubtful they're not wild caught ......… check out kingsnake.com sometime , early june every year there are a huge amount of adult eastern box turtles for sale, everyone is " trimming down their collection " ……….. not that their not easily bred in captivity , it's just it takes maybe 10yrs for one left outside to be an adult , and not a large adult…… I just seen some "extra" males for sale for as little as $85 ea. ……..

this guy was busted last august , he also had "20 boxes of turtle eggs" , so he obviously got himself a lot of adult nesting females …….. that's got to irreparably harm a population …….

as with that tregle guy in Louisiana , that's just what he had when they caught him , and it's more than likely a they , not just a him ……..…... i'd think they had to wipe out a population or two of each species ……............ i'd say more laws , but you can't make more protection laws than are already on bog turtles.........I guess you could make it illegal to own turtles period , wouldn't eliminate it , surely would cut down on it ...…….

I read a study on a population of wood turtles , they went back in the spring one year and the entire population was gone , there was no environmental reason for it , the river was healthy ……….. the reason was obvious ………..

I personally find this more than frustrating , if it's not obvious …..