new

Status
Not open for further replies.

cher6714

5 Year Member
Hi, i am new to this forum and am new to having a tortoise. I just bought a russian tortoise. I am wondering what the humidity needs to be in the tank and how to keep the humidity kind of stable? Please help me. Thanks, Cheryl

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Hello! Congratulations on your new Russian! This website can help you with all your questions.

http://russiantortoise.org

We can help you with anything not answered there. Good luck with your new shelled friend.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cheryl:

930728a6gizpbq8o.gif
to the forum!!

Humidity doesn't seem to be as important in Russian tortoise-keeping as it is in leopards and sulcatas. But I HAVE seen some pretty rough-looking Russians, so I'm sure it can't hurt.

I like to use either Orchid Bark or Cypress Mulch as a substrate. These two substrates can be moistened without molding or smelling sour. However, you really can use any substrate that works for you if you add a little humidity to the hiding place. You can accomplish that with either some damp sphagnum moss in the hide or a moist sponge hot glue gunned to the ceiling of the hide.

It seems like the Russian tortoises are more prone to shell rot than other desert-type tortoises, so be watchful of that and don't allow the tortoise to live in "wet" conditions.

And I should mention that the humidity issue seems to be more important when the tortoise is in his early growing years. Probably doesn't have much effect on full grown tortoises.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum Cheryl :)

Danny

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
welcome.. torts are addicting! do lots of reading and keep an open mind.. there isn't just one way to keep them..
diet is very important.. so read up! and Welcome!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Welcome to the forum, Cheryl.

We need details...how old is your torty, what is its name, what kind of container are you keeping it in, what light, what heat, what substrate? :p

Don't you just love having a tortoise? How did you decide on one? :D

Photos are critically important for the members here at TFO, so we can all compliment your tortoise's beauty and character. ;) If you don't already know, here's how: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5245.html

Status
Not open for further replies.