New

billylilly

Location (City and/or State)
Cheshire
Hi
I am getting my first tortoise tomorrow he’s eight and I’ve never owned one before am excited and would appreciate any help or advice thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Billy:

How about telling us a bit more about yourself, your situation, and what species of tortoise you're getting?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Billy, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
Can't wait to see your new tortoise.

billylilly

Cheshire
He’s settling in very well and he’s a horse field named billy am loving him just wondered what everyone uses in their bedding and boxes etc please x

billylilly

Cheshire
Russian tortoises (Testudo horsfieldii), hence horsfield, are a great tort.
For substrate use fine grade orchid bark, coco coir or cypress mulch.
Have a look at the care sheet that will provide you with invaluable information.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Thank you the lady I bought him from has set it all up for me using sand and soil and he’s happy enough but he’s in my lounge and feel it could get messy!?! So will have a good look at this thanks again

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Do you mean the enclosure is in your lounge or that you don't have an enclosure for him?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Okay, so if he's in a tortoise table, then your lounge shouldn't get messy. It should have high enough sides that he can't get out so the substrate should stay within. He may get messy, but that's fine!

billylilly

Cheshire
Thank you so much am thinking about when I change the sand/soil or would I be better using the bark stuff as surely be easier to change !?!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thank you so much am thinking about when I change the sand/soil or would I be better using the bark stuff as surely be easier to change !?!
Don't use sand.
It is an impaction risk and can make your tortoise very unwell.
One of the substartes I mentioned would be much better than soil, you don't know exactly what's in soil.

billylilly

Cheshire
Don't use sand.
It is an impaction risk and can make your tortoise very unwell.
One of the substartes I mentioned would be much better than soil, you don't know exactly what's in soil.

She has always used play sand mixed with substrate soil !?! Would soil on its own be better or what else would be easier to change someone mentioned wood chipping bits

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The sand is a risk. It takes time to accumulate when ingested, but it may happen eventually, you need to get rid of it, it is potentially lethal.
Soil on its own is better but really you need a better substrate, you can get orchid bark cheaply at the garden centre, which is a type of wood chipping, but fine grade is best.
Wood chippings such as cypress mulch are fine, but be careful what you get, you need something that holds moisture without going mouldy and some woods like cedar or pine are not good for your tortoise they can be irritants or toxic.