New

Buddy2022

Location (City and/or State)
phoenix
Hi my Tortoise name is Buddy. We are new here. We live in Phoenix. He is such a joy to watch . Buddy is very adventurous and has torn up my Front yard decorations lol. But I dont mind. Buddy started to escape though. 3 times already. Neighbors bring him back. They just find Buddy walking down the sidewalk, he is so cute and funny., any open door or gate and out he goes. Buddy is right there and ready , he has even gone under the chain link fence . pushes and pushes until hes out. Decided to put him in the backyard instead. Huge backyard for him to roam. I just let him roam in the space by the back patio and the side . Plenty of room for Buddy. When I go out back further, I just open the gate and he goes out to the rest of the yard. Buddy is waiting by gate for me to open it. He is so funny

Attachments

• buddy7.jpg
    buddy7.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I hope you got the enclosure right now so he can't get out any more. Sadly one day you might not get him back. They do like to dig and climb so those things need to be fixed.

Buddy2022

phoenix
I hope you got the enclosure right now so he can't get out any more. Sadly one day you might not get him back. They do like to dig and climb so those things need to be fixed.
Yes thank you . Thats why he is in the back yard now. No escape routes there. yes he is a climber , so i put rocks and different climbing stuff for him. I love to just sit there and watch him. His enclosure is separate from the big back yard. Thats why he waits by the gate to let him out of the patio area. He really doesn't. Buddy likes to use his muscles and push his way thru lol . So adventurous. Thank you for the help. Just need to know when hes ready to hibernate..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes thank you . Thats why he is in the back yard now. No escape routes there. yes he is a climber , so i put rocks and different climbing stuff for him. I love to just sit there and watch him. His enclosure is separate from the big back yard. Thats why he waits by the gate to let him out of the patio area. He really doesn't. Buddy likes to use his muscles and push his way thru lol . So adventurous. Thank you for the help. Just need to know when hes ready to hibernate..
They usually slow down on eating for about 2 weeks before going into hibernation. Be sure to keep him well hydrated.

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
Yes thank you . Just need to know when hes ready to hibernate..
If he stays in an outdoor enclosure 24/7 he will dig and burry himself when temperature start to drop down to cooler degrees. All of a sudden, you don't see him basking in the early morning sun anymore. Have fun trying to find where his hibernating area in the enclosure.