New

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruepoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
New to the website just like reading about russian tortoises and having a go to site for information for my questions. I got my russian tortoise last january, i was told she is probably at least 12 years old. Her name is Rue. I posted a post on the russian tortoise filter one but it didnt show up so im just going to add the information onto the bottom of this one just incase.

So my russian tortoise was eating her lettuce today and then started breathing out of her nose kind of heavy so was just going to see if it went away. Well it hasn't and she started about an hour ago breathing out of her mouth every now and then and it sounds like she is gurgling or like trying to swallow something. So obviously going to to take her to an emergency vet visit when they open in the morning, but is there things i should be doing tonight? I read to make sure she stays warm because it helps with breathing so should i leave the lamp on all night? Someone help me!! I feel so bad for her!
Thanks a bunch!
Lauren Conrad
P.S i took that picture of her earlier so idk if you can tell by looking at her if she looks sick or whatever but anyway that's rue!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sounds like it could be an RI, for now just keep her warm,. Any discharge from the nose?

Ruepoo

5 Year Member
Illinois
Not that i have seen. Her nose was dry when i checked it and it didn't look like anything was lodged in there either.

jeninak907

5 Year Member
South Carolina
You cant tell she is sick from the photo, but her beak is kinda long, maby have the vet look at it when you take her in. Do you feed her on a stone? Like a flat rock? That should help over time, but ask the doctor what they think they could do for you about it. They might be able to grind it down.

Ruepoo

5 Year Member
Illinois
Okay I will ask them about that, i usually just pile her food on the sand and dirt and stuff in her tub. But ill invest in a stone. So keeping her warm if she has an RI, should i keep her light on all night? Ive had it on longer than it should have and she hasnt been breathing very strangly that much anymore so i think it might be slightly helping, she is being very active though so idk if i should turn it off so she will sleep or just leave her be?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Lauren.

Status
Not open for further replies.