Newbie advice x

mmckelvie

Location (City and/or State)
Glasgow
Hi guys, so I’m just about to purchase my first hermann tortoise; have got table and equipment etc but need advice re the uvb strip light I’ve purchased. I thought it was coming with all the fittings but was just the bulb and now I have no idea what fitting to get for it. Any help will be much appreciated! :) I have attached a picture of the bulb.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not sure that's the right bulb. It says, "UVI" and you want UVB. I buy most of my light stuff from lightyourreptiles.com. They sell the bulbs and the fixtues

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi guys, so I’m just about to purchase my first hermann tortoise; have got table and equipment etc but need advice re the uvb strip light I’ve purchased. I thought it was coming with all the fittings but was just the bulb and now I have no idea what fitting to get for it. Any help will be much appreciated! :) I have attached a picture of the bulb.
H and welcome and Happy Birthday!!
The T5 HO tubes seem to the best at the moment and you usually buy the fittings with them.
Google T5 HO and see what comes up. Arcadia sell the complete kit.

You'll find this very helpful to kit your enclosure out correctly and for correct up to date tort care.

Don't waste money on fancy and often dangerous water dishes etc - cheap terracotta plant saucers are safe and easy for torts to access. Also forget the dial type thermometers pet shops sell they are pretty unreliable - go for a digital thermometer/hygrometer with a probe you can place at tort level and a digital temp gun for spot checking temps around the enclosure. Also avoid any coloured bulbs, and any that are curly or cfl type as they can damage tort eyes.

Last edited:

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome here is another site that I have used before. This is a Arcadia, many members use them.
Screenshot_20210225-123443_Chrome.jpg

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
I'm not sure that's the right bulb. It says, "UVI" and you want UVB. I buy most of my light stuff from lightyourreptiles.com. They sell the bulbs and the fixtues

It's saying UV Index 1.8.

According to Dr. Google, that would be here on the index (grabbed from the site startortoises.net):

Zone 3
  • avg UVI 1.0 to 2.6, max UVI 2.9-7.4
  • bask in full sun mornings or afternoons, this zone includes most species of aquatic turtles and tortoises

But that's if the box is accurate, and we all know how advertising goes for pet supplies :rolleyes:

harrythetortoise

Virginia

I think Ferguson zone 2 would be good for box turtles and red foot tortoises, but for Hermann's species zone 3 is recommended.
I personally use the Zoomed brand reptisun T5 HO 22'' (24 w) fixture and bulb, but Arcadia brand is good too if you can get one!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I think amazon (amazon.co.uk) sells both the Zoomed and Arcadia fixtures&lamps!
Arcadia is probably superior.
The item in the photo is a complete Zoomed fixture and tube. But with the American type plug.
It's about $50
I currently own 3 of these in 24".

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM

Lately, it seems that bulb companies are advertising based on the UV index (UVI) or Ferguson zone. With it must come an installation height recommendation based on an relationship between UVI and height that they determined at the factory for that particular bulb. Could you reach a higher UVI with this bulb? Yes, you would just have to set the height lower. How much would it increase? It's anyone's guess. The best practice would still be to measure the UVI with a Solarmeter 6.5.

I think the 1.8 UVI level that this puts out would be fine for a hatchling for 2-3 hours per day. The light does not need to be on all day. Several members here have seen reduced pyramiding when reducing UV levels leading to the theory of UV-induced pyramding despite optimal humidity conditions. If this is an adult tortoise, you can definitely use a UVI of 3 if you want.

You need to find the corresponding T5 light fixture for the length of bulb you have.

The light also doesn't have to cover every inch of the enclosure. Torts need to be able to get in and out of the UV as they please.