newbie, enclosure questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hevs

5 Year Member
hello,
I have just inherated a 50-60 year old marginated tortoise and was wondering what size enclosure is a minimum for him. I've done alot of research on feeding, care an enrichment but cant find any encloseure size recomendations anywhere...
He is 14 inches long, (is this small for a boy his age?) Currently hes in a 4ft by 2.5ft house with a 6ft by 3ft run. I dont think its big enough, but he dosent seem bored or destressed in it. He gets to spend most days wandering round the garden when im out there or the kitchen, but i need to know if the enclosure is big enough for when he has to be shut away. Idealy i'd give him the whole garden but thats not possible. In the run i've put some large round rocks, slates, plant pot and a shallow water tray. its a mobile run and hutch so i haven't planted anything in there for him, but he can get to all the grass and weeds.
The bottom of the run has large mesh on it, is this safe incase he trys to dig or will it hurt his feet?
thanks
Heather

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Concord, CA
Hi Heather,
Larger is always better. I have 7 smaller ones in an area about 50'x20'. The area is large enough that I'm able to keep plants alive without the tortoises killing everything. Where I live I'm able to keep them outdoors all year, which is very nice.

I'm sure everyone would love to see some photo's 14" is a big boy.

Hevs

5 Year Member
i'll try and get some up today. Hes a really nice lad. Going for a vet check up this week just incase, he seems to have a nice healthy appatite and is active once hes basked

Status
Not open for further replies.