Newbie from Oregon and need some input

Status
Not open for further replies.

christina23a

5 Year Member
Hello there! Let me start by saying I live in southern Oregon. I came across a baby Sulcata that I plan on rescuing from a lady. This poor little guys shell appears to be pyramiding and the current owner admitted she knows nothing on care for him. I understand that the damage done will stay that way but was looking for pointers on slowing it down. I've done a lot of research on proper diet, uv exposure, hydration etc. Please feel free to give me any advice I want to help this little guy really don't want to see him get worse. I plan on picking him up this Monday.5I55G25H33F43Ld3I8c7c42eecfee0aab1b88.jpg5L25G95Md3I43Fe3mcc7c8a981f38157415c7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
Too cute! Congrats on the new family member. Vitamins, Bathe, keep mites off, good diet, Mazuri Tortoise feed is handy; most people use it twice a week. Timothy hay should be offered, but don't expect em to eat it right away if it wasn't in his diet previously. Plus chopping it up with kitchen scissors are Handy!

This is Missy; got her at 10 Inches and is happily at Twelve already and growing.

0508121039-1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Christina:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
The shell does not look to bad. It will never smooth out but if you do things right it will not get worse. An out door safe pen is a must for sulcatas. I would try and start him out on some mustard and turnip greens and some squash. Once you get him settled in he should mostly eat grass and weeds. Fruit is not a good idea and they don't need treats. Make sure he has shade and a hide and a low water dish that he can drink and soak in. Congrats he is a cutie :)

HeyThere

5 Year Member
The shell is not the best, but its not that bad off. Are you planning on keeping him inside or outside?

christina23a

5 Year Member
Im planning building him an outside pen and also one inside because he'd only be able to hang out outside in summer months the winters get too cold

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Status
Not open for further replies.