Newbie from San Jose, CA!

jkendo1

Location (City and/or State)
San Jose, CA, USA
Hi All! Glad to find a forum like this. I adopted a tortoise about a month ago and was told it was a red foot tortoise. While it has more orange/yellow color, the forehead scales seem to indicate it as such and I would appreciate your opinion too. I call him Speedy because he is fast, hungry,inquisitive, very social and appears to be healthy. He has lot of energy and glad he appears to be healthy. I wonder how old he is. He is about 10 inches long and about 6 inches wide. Here is my concern... Who I got it from got it from her friend and decided she could not take care of him after a few weeks.

I live in San Jose,CA and I have a nice garden so I keep him outside and I have a pen. The day temps can be sunny and 100 degrees+ like yesterday but the evenings get down to 50 degrees. That's in the summer. In the winter, the temps are in the 25-50 degree range so based on what I have read, this will be a potential issue so can I still keep him outdoors or do I have to bring him indoors during cold winter weather? If outdoors, do I need a heat lamp or greenhouse? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on the temps management for Speedy. Any resources are appreciated too. Now I will start snooping on the site. Thanks!

jkendo1

San Jose, CA, USA
That's my boy Speedy!
20160602_185023_zpssbd4v3qo.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Speedy is indeed a redfooted tortoise. You can find plenty of good info at the Tortoise Library

You'll need to tend to that injury on the top of Speedy's right leg so flies don't lay eggs on it. Just keep a dap of Neosporin or vaseline on it, and maybe sand down that part of the shell to smooth it out (or put a bit of tape on it).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a sneaky suspicion that Speedy was raised pretty dry, and that's why his shell curves in above the legs like it does. Be sure to water your garden well so he's now living in a more humid environment.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
We were down at the Detroit Zoo today and it was sprinkling on and off all day. On the plus side we got to see some very active kangaroos. Apparently they don't like rain.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Jkendo1, don't know if you are a Sharks fan or not but everyone in Michigan pretty much hates the Penguins. Almost everyone I know is rooting for San Jose pretty hard.

jkendo1

San Jose, CA, USA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Speedy is indeed a redfooted tortoise. You can find plenty of good info at the Tortoise Library

You'll need to tend to that injury on the top of Speedy's right leg so flies don't lay eggs on it. Just keep a dap of Neosporin or vaseline on it, and maybe sand down that part of the shell to smooth it out (or put a bit of tape on it).

Thanks Yvonne. I will do that. Thanks for your tip cuz I didn't know what I should do with the small cut.

jkendo1

San Jose, CA, USA
Jkendo1, don't know if you are a Sharks fan or not but everyone in Michigan pretty much hates the Penguins. Almost everyone I know is rooting for San Jose pretty hard.

Saginawhxc, I am a season ticket holder and I went to my first Stanley Cup... loved it! But we got our hands full so thanks for the love from Michigan!!! Go Sharks!!!

jkendo1

San Jose, CA, USA
Hi and welcome to you and Speedy from Speedy ! :D

HI Speedy-1 from Speedy! I guess we are here to negate the perceptions that tortoises are slow, right? LOL. Looks like your tortoise is big from pics? How do you tell how old it is? I just adopted mine. It has been over 100 degrees lately for the past week so does your Speedy-1 look for shelter? Wish so much heat, I was thinking I am going to put more shady plants in his pen. What sayeth Sir Speedy-1?

jkendo1

San Jose, CA, USA
Welcome to the forum :) Speedy is a cute one ! he has a friendly face

Thanks Linhdan Nguyen. Yes, he is so friendly. I called him out the other day and he came for some food. He sure loves carrot peels! I have only had him for about a month or so and keep him outdoors in Sunny California. I have been doing some research and am concerned about the temperatures here because we have been going from a high of 106 degrees to a low of about 60 degrees and all the reading tells me he needs so warmth at night. I am concerned about the cold temps especially in winter. Winter weather ranges from 25 degrees in early morning to 50 degrees in afternoon at best. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Thanks Linhdan Nguyen. Yes, he is so friendly. I called him out the other day and he came for some food. He sure loves carrot peels! I have only had him for about a month or so and keep him outdoors in Sunny California. I have been doing some research and am concerned about the temperatures here because we have been going from a high of 106 degrees to a low of about 60 degrees and all the reading tells me he needs so warmth at night. I am concerned about the cold temps especially in winter. Winter weather ranges from 25 degrees in early morning to 50 degrees in afternoon at best. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Unfortunately I own russian tortoises (for now:p) so I wont be much help. BUT if you look in our enclosures section, you should be able to find some info about housing tortoises outside and inside. If you have the space for an indoor enclosure large enough for Speedy to live in during the winter months. An outdoor heated greenhouse or enclosure as you mentioned could also be done. It's really up to what you think is best. Just make sure its hot and humid :)
My russians have an indoor enclosure and i take them outside a couple times a week when its nice. In the winter, i can hibernate them, if i choose, or they will just stay in their indoor enclosure.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
HI Speedy-1 from Speedy! I guess we are here to negate the perceptions that tortoises are slow, right? LOL. Looks like your tortoise is big from pics? How do you tell how old it is? I just adopted mine. It has been over 100 degrees lately for the past week so does your Speedy-1 look for shelter? Wish so much heat, I was thinking I am going to put more shady plants in his pen. What sayeth Sir Speedy-1?
He is about 18 months old, just under 3 Lbs. We are at 104 degrees right now and he is huddled in a shady spot at the bottom of the steps , I go out and spray him down every so often to cool him down , he also has a large tray of water to sit in. :)