Newbie from South Africa

NateC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi guys,

Firstly I have always been fascinated and loved tortoises.

I was introduced to a women who was emigrating South Africa who owned a few tortoises that have been raised in captivity.
She gave me 2 to take care of and said they are a few years old now.

She has since left South Africa so I never got to ask what species they are or how old exactly.

I have had the tortoises in my possession for a week and have seen a massive improvement in their behavior and feeding.

I believe in South Africa it is required to have a permit so I will look into that and hopefully I will be given advice on how to do that.

I will attach pictures for someone to help identify the species so that I can better care for them. they are about 8cm / 3 inches in length.

20170822_121110.jpg 20170822_121122.jpg 20170822_144149.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Nate - yes, leopard tortoises.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

NateC

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies everyone,

I will definitely read up on the links provided and put my best foot forward on caring for these two lovely animals.
I have found out that now that i know what species these are, that it is easier to get permits for Leopard Tortoises so i will definitely be getting that sorted out,

My daughter can sit all day just watching them go about their business so i would hate for them to be taken away from her.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I keep and breed this species. You will need to separate them ASAP. They do not do well in pairs. Each one will need its own enclosure. As young juveniles, they can sometimes get along in groups, but not pairs. I had to separate all the males from females at less than 2 years old because of all the promiscuous male behavior was seriously stressing out the young females. I then had to separate all the males and have them live individually a short time after that due to fighting and aggression.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome to you and your gorgeous little tortoises!

NateC

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome.

I keep and breed this species. You will need to separate them ASAP. They do not do well in pairs. Each one will need its own enclosure. As young juveniles, they can sometimes get along in groups, but not pairs. I had to separate all the males from females at less than 2 years old because of all the promiscuous male behavior was seriously stressing out the young females. I then had to separate all the males and have them live individually a short time after that due to fighting and aggression.

Ok wow I did not know that, they seem so content with each other. will keep my eye on that.
I plan on building an enclosure (seems like two enclosures now) this weekend for them.