Newbie - help needed on species identification

Jussie

image.jpg

Hello everyone!

I am a newbie and live in Dubai, UAE and have taken on two 5 mth old tortoise. Previous owner no longer wanted them and thinks they are Desert tortoise species! Can you help me to identify them? I have just finished their outdoor enclosure but at present I am still bringing them indoors at night as the temp is getting as low as 16 here at night and I believe they should not be out when it's cooler than 20c (70f) is this correct?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Someone with more experience than I at I.D.ing these type of tortoise will come on soon and help you, but in the meantime, I sort of think it looks like an Egyptian tortoise (testudo kleinmani).

Jussie

Thanks for your reply Yvonne G. I thought the same thing, as this is the slightly darker one of the two so it kind of threw me. I just want to be as sure as possible so that I can get the right food, habit and care info. One thing is for sure though, they are very cute and quite different in their personalities. Thanks again.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ , USA . My Egyptians are much lighter then yours but yours look a lot like my Hermann's

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
I agree,,pretty sure you have a Hermann's on your hands ,,congratulations,they are awesome tortoises!!! (but then again,they all are!)

more pics,,then we can tell for sure!

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
If you can get a picture of the bottom of the shell that would be great, Egyptians have a very distinctive pattern on the bottom, it looks like two triangles.

A hermann's would have two black bands.

Jussie

Timmy Size.jpg
Timmy.jpg
Shane.jpg
Shane size.jpg

Thanks everybody. I have included some more pics and it seems we have hermann's on our hands judging by your info :)

Now on to my next concern.... Pyramiding:( looks like it has already started to me, what are your thoughts?

Thank you once again.

Last edited by a moderator: