Newbie Help (on russian care)

CurtisM

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
First thanks for all the help so far, i'm just undoing everything the pet shop said & Sold.

For a 12 mth Horsfield

I've a few Qs
Topsoil, i'm reading it's OK to use if there's nothing added. Other are saying no to this. I'm currently using coco coir but hoping to get a less expensive solution.

UV light.
i'm currently using an all in 1 basking with UVA & UVB. I'm changing this to a uv strip. What watts would you recommend.

it will be indoors aprox 5mth per year due to weather

The open part if the table is 5ft x 3ft but half is now covered to retain moisture.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
As you've probably found pet shops know very little about tort care and usually sell unsuitable and unsafe equipment for profit. If you follow this your tort should thrive
Coco coir is OK and fine orchid bark is also popular - the caresheet will tell you the best options for substrates (topsoil, compost, sand, pellets, hay, sawdust etc and anything with white bits should not be used).
Many of us use T5 HO tube kits for UVB (Arcadia are good - the wattage will depend on the length of the tube which will depend on the length of your enclosure), a flood basking bulb and a CHE run through a thermostat for night heat are also good to have in our climate.
If you post a picture of your set up you'll get good feedback to make sure it's as safe as possible for your tort.
Tom has collated everything we should know in this thread

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First thanks for all the help so far, i'm just undoing everything the pet shop said & Sold.

For a 12 mth Horsfield

I've a few Qs
Topsoil, i'm reading it's OK to use if there's nothing added. Other are saying no to this. I'm currently using coco coir but hoping to get a less expensive solution.

UV light.
i'm currently using an all in 1 basking with UVA & UVB. I'm changing this to a uv strip. What watts would you recommend.

it will be indoors aprox 5mth per year due to weather

The open part if the table is 5ft x 3ft but half is now covered to retain moisture.
Please take a few minutes to read her the two threads that Lyn linked for you. I find it helps to read them twice.