Newbie Here

Jeff C.

Location (City and/or State)
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
My spouse and I just retired (late 50's) and plan to adopt a small size tortoise once we have what we need. We live in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. The starter home we ordered (on it's way from Amazon): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HFRMSGC/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

We plan to keep his/her home on a covered patio but also take it out on regular (supervised) strolls around our property.

Here are some initial questions...
- What type of small tortoise breed is recommended given our location/climate?
- Should we buy on-line? Recommendations?
- What is the best heating equipment?
- Best choice for lighting?
- Recommendations for thermostat?
- What other supplies are a must have from day one?
- Any other advice? Anything welcome! :)

Thank you!
Jeff

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
My spouse and I just retired (late 50's) and plan to adopt a small size tortoise once we have what we need. We live in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. The starter home we ordered (on it's way from Amazon): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HFRMSGC/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

We plan to keep his/her home on a covered patio but also take it out on regular (supervised) strolls around our property.

Here are some initial questions...
- What type of small tortoise breed is recommended given our location/climate?
- Should we buy on-line? Recommendations?
- What is the best heating equipment?
- Best choice for lighting?
- Recommendations for thermostat?
- What other supplies are a must have from day one?
- Any other advice? Anything welcome! :)

Thank you!
Jeff
Alright first thing cancel that order since size wise it is only good for baby torts BUT since all babies need heat and high humidity it is no good. A Rubbermaid Christmas tote is better if you can still find one. I have a grumpy Russian and a pouty Leopard in Virginia and we get nothing near the winter you'll get so a smaller tort would work well for you. Here is a nice care sheet for starting out https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...ise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

That starter home is no good. Much too small and open.

Before you buy any more supplies, read about the different species of tortoise. Read our care sheets. You'll find them pinned towards the tops of each of the species sections. Then, after you've decided what species you want, re-read the care sheet for that species and buy supplies according to what the care sheet tells you your species of tortoise requires.

Jeff C.

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Alright first thing cancel that order since size wise it is only good for baby torts BUT since all babies need heat and high humidity it is no good. A Rubbermaid Christmas tote is better if you can still find one. I have a grumpy Russian and a pouty Leopard in Virginia and we get nothing near the winter you'll get so a smaller tort would work well for you. Here is a nice care sheet for starting out https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...ise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/
Thank you. Would it be OK to use this enclosure while the tortoise is still a baby and with appropriate heating? Our goal was to build a custom/larger enclosure once it gets a little bigger.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Thank you. Would it be OK to use this enclosure while the tortoise is still a baby and with appropriate heating? Our goal was to build a custom/larger enclosure once it gets a little bigger.
Babies need a closed chamber to properly lock in the heat and humidity for them to thrive. That enclosure will cause you to chase your tail and will cause pyramiding

Jeff C.

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Welcome to the Forum!

That starter home is no good. Much too small and open.

Before you buy any more supplies, read about the different species of tortoise. Read our care sheets. You'll find them pinned towards the tops of each of the species sections. Then, after you've decided what species you want, re-read the care sheet for that species and buy supplies according to what the care sheet tells you your species of tortoise requires.
Thank you. Want to make sure I'm clear re: the starter enclosure. We were planning to use it while the tortoise was still a baby, then build a custom/larger enclosure. Is it too small for even a baby tortoise? Regarding being too open, I many not understand what you mean. Should the enclosure be kept indoors until spring? We were planning to keep it heated on a covered patio but maybe that won't work well?

Jeff C.

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Babies need a closed chamber to properly lock in the heat and humidity for them to thrive. That enclosure will cause you to chase your tail and will cause pyramiding
I see, so the side area where the tortoise would sleep is problematic because the opening will let all the heat out and it won't stay humid enough. Would keeping the enclosure indoors until spring help with that issue?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I see, so the side area where the tortoise would sleep is problematic because the opening will let all the heat out and it won't stay humid enough. Would keeping the enclosure indoors until spring help with that issue?
Not unless you happen to have an indoor greenhouse. Even a slight difference in the room temp will sap all the warmth out the enclosure. Also it will rot out pretty fast when keeping ng up the humidity. @Markw84 makes them out of PVC and are very easy to assemble (like ikea). Or you can get a grow tent from Amazon and line with a shower curtain

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Welcome to the forum! I am originally from just northeast of you :)

Those wooden tortoise houses are meant to trick new owners. Keep lurking here for a bit and you'll figure out a species and setup that fits your home. Russians and Hermann's are popular choices for indoor torts in that area.

The care sheets will have everything you need to know once you've decided on a species. In the meantime, some necessities that are good for any species:
  • At least 2 digital hygrometer/temp gauges, one for warm side and one for cool side
  • One lamp fixture for a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) - hold off on the heating bulb until you know what wattage you'll need for your enclosure. These can be found cheaper at farm stores. NO RED LIGHTS
  • UV fixture will depend on enclosure, but long flat hooded fixtures are often suggested
  • Figure out your source of either cypress or fir (sometimes called orchid) bark, home improvement stores are often the cheapest source
  • Terracotta dish for water, flat paving stone to serve food on, soft fake plants or multiple hides

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The baby needs to be kept in an enclosure that is very warm and humid, probably for 1-2 years, depending on species. When I say warm, I mean at least 80°F all the time, day and night. The humidity needs to be at least 80% all the time. These numbers are fairly universal for babies of most species. As they grow, there are different requirements for different species.

The only way to achieve and maintain these conditions is to use an enclosure that has no open top, a closed chamber.

You can buy one fancy and beautiful, you can buy one functional and inexpensive but not exactly beautiful, or you can build one. We have plans for how to build it.

Here's a pic of "fancy and beautiful"...you would contact member Markw84 by PM.
IMG_0691.jpg

Here's "inexpensive and functional" in use. You get it on Amazon, it's called a grow tent. We have a member who would be happy to show you how she did this.
20200601_124955.jpg
Grow tent 4'x2'x2'
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PK7J1XZ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

And here's plans to build one...