Newbie Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

JNorm

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello all,
Im currently considering getting a tortoise or maybe a bearded dragon, im not sure yet....
I already have a 55 Gal Aquarium, basking light, light hood, and other basic things that would be in a fish tank. Its been throughly cleaned btw.
I know about lighting UVB and such that they require already, i plan on getting a MVB bulb.

Anyway now for the Questions.....
Im trying to decide if the tank would be to small for a tortoise such as a russian tortoise.
If i got a tortoise i would be more willing to build somthing such as a "Tortoise Table?" rather than upgrade my aquarium.
I would more than likley get one from a local pet store, i live in indiana and havent seen any breeders near, or rescues with these animals
Anything against certian petstores?
How fast do russians grow? i would put him in my 55gal, with no view to the outside, it would be covered in cardboard at the bottom. But i wont be able to build anything untill this spring or summer,
if i got one thats about 4" how quickly would he grow?

Any advice from someone that may own a russian tortoise?
:D
thanks everyone.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
using cardboard as your substrate? and what does no view to the outside
have to do with anything??

Russians as a whole do not get very large, but aquariums are not recommended
for any species of tortoises because they limit airflow.

You'd be better off with a 20$ christmas tree tote from walmart. Check out
the enclosures threads and click on the one at top and you'll see what i mean.

JNorm

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I just thought this tank would work untill summer, i already have it and its empty....
And the cardboard is because ive read multiple times that if they can see out, it can not only stress them out, but they may try to go threw the glass, or scratch at it.
its 4 feet long and like 13" deep, air flow wont be a problem the top will be open or have a screen.
From what ive read i think the size will be ok untill spring.....

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
ohhhh. i thought you meant as a substrate. I understand about the
stress thing.

you don't want to use a screen as well (its not like he will be able
to climb up and out) because it filters out the UVB output of their
bulbs, and they wont get enough from it.

Do some more research on here...have you tried petfinder.com to see
if any shelters in your area have any torts up for adoption?

JNorm

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
No i havent tryed petfinder but i plan to do so thank you.
If im using a 100w mvb i dont think the screen will filter much UVB at all. And im not worried about him climbing out, more about cats climbing it. I know they wont hurt him, its him hurting them i worry about.
Well i guess they wont do it twice now will they? lol

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
JNorm welcome to the forum. Yes, Screen will filter quite a bit of the UVB from your bulb, as will any barrier like glass etc. See this site for info http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercvapourmeshtests.htm Also Cats can injure your tort. I don't see your tort injuring a cat, but it has happened the other way around. I commend you for doing your homework first before getting a reptile. Please make very sure this is what you want. They take some specialized care as does any reptile and reading up and asking questions before getting one is the smart thing to do.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya JN ~ and welcome.

There are clips that come with lighting hoods where you can just clip it onto the side of a tank; however, I would still use the screen for protection from the cats {I have a wire hair fox terrier that would love to play with either my tort's or my beardie.. unfortunately, his "play" would be deadly, so yes, I have screens on my indoor enclosures.}

Is there room in your home for a tort table? Why not build it now? Home Depot and Lowes will cut to size any wood you purchase, so you would not have to worry about sawdust indoors {if it is too cold to build outdoors, considering your location}.

Also, if you get a beardie, the 55 should be good; just make sure to get tall branches for him to bask under his light ~ and the food is easy, as they are mainly vegetarians {Altho my beardie loves an occasional pinkie, and will happily chase superworms or crickets}

And I agree with Robyn, it's great that you are doing the research before your purchase{s}.

Bestest wishes on your decision, and again, Welcome to TFO.
Purpod

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
california
using cardboard as your substrate? and what does no view to the outside
have to do with anything??

Russians as a whole do not get very large, but aquariums are not recommended
for any species of tortoises because they limit airflow.

You'd be better off with a 20$ christmas tree tote from walmart. Check out
the enclosures threads and click on the one at top and you'll see what i mean.
[/quote]

Wait i never knew this..... Torts shouldnt be in aquriums?!? does that meen they shouldnt be in terreriums either??? also is this true about sulcata torts to? Here is a pic of my torts terrerium and she has been doing fine...
1101081117.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JNorm

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I really just dont want to buy a big christmas tote from walmart being that i already have a huge empty tank in my room with a stand and everything. I would build a tort table right now but with christmas right around the corner my money is kinda tight, i would be getting the tort itself with my christmas money as it is. And i know about screens filtering UVB/ reducing range at which it is useable. But a 100W MVB has a range of about 12", and a screen does NOT filter it in the same way that it would with a flourescent UVB fixture. Trust me ive done my research.
I have the space for a 4' by about 2.5' table right now, but im short on $ and the closest lowes/homedepot is about 45min from my house, even more since its snowing.
and if i build a table it would also require a top, so im still working on figuring out how to do that.

BTW, to the guy who said my cage is big enough for a BD, Its only 13" deep, a full size beareded dragon has to have at least 18" depth, otherwise it gets stress marks on its belly.
Ive had a tortoise before i know what kind of commitment it is, trust me i really want one, but im more than likley going to wait till spring,
no i dont know what kind of tort it was, i saved it from a parkinglot in indianapolis, after about 2 years i built it a outsied home out of a kitty pool, bout a year later, a hawk broke through the screen and stole him, i recently decided i want another one, and i will be much more careful this time.
thanks everyone anyway.

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
california
my tort have been in a tararium and she has been fine so you can do it as long as the top isnt made out of glass,,air needs to get out from some where :) and if you can you should atattch a pic of the aquarium to let every body see.

JNorm

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
On the right is my poor college student hide. (Bricks and a ceramic tile)
I still have to get my MVB, And hopefully some sort of subtrate. Im planning on removing the reptile carpet...i think. This is just what it looks like so far, its not done yet.
BTW the screen wont filter out the UVB. Since the screen doesent cover the UVB bulb. :D
I plan to add more rocks and such too, its just a work in progress.
oh and again, i plan to cover the bottom about 5" of cardboard so he cant see out, ive read it stresses them out. I rather not stress him out.
n1167450360_30235675_2645.jpg

n1167450360_30235676_786.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
california
yours looks alot like mine, its fine but are you getting a sulcata cuz if you are you should make a ramp to the water dish, it looks a little to tall for a tort.

JNorm

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks im hoping to get a russian.
And with the food dish, a substrate will remove that problem of it being to high.
thanks. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.