Newbie Here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thwaitey

5 Year Member
Hey guys, picking my Horsefield Tortoise up on Friday! Can't describe how excited I am about it.. I've done more research into this than any of my uni homework!

My 36" tortoise table is coming tomorrow and it comes with a UVB bulb and heating bulb.. Do I need to connect something to a thermostat? I live in England so the weathers never really great.. My room is always pretty warm most of the time though!

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

P.s. Hi everyone! Glad I can be involved in this forum!

Here is the Tortoise Table I've bought btw.. ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364996399.413893.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Thwaitey, and welcome to the Forum!

Thwaitey

5 Year Member
I will post pictures of the little dude when I've got him settled in, thinking of Yoshi for a name..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) how exciting for you. Such a big day. Many of us uses a thermostat to regulate some of our heating elements. It's a nice added security. However, many don't. It really upto you.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Welcome to the wonderful world of tortoises and to the forum.
Concerning your question regarding the thermostat, I use a ceramic heat emitter,(CHE) on a thermostat for the added security of knowing the temp is always where it needs to be. I use a heat emitter for the heat, as they produce no light, and I feel night should be dark. The circadian rhythms of a tortoise can get messed up with constant light. Some people use red lights at night which sometimes confuses the tortoise into thinking non-edible things like the substrate is food.
Be sure to find the sub forum for russian tortoises on here and study the questions and answers to help avoid potential health or care issues. Again, welcome to the forum, we're a good group for the most part that want what's best for you and your tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.