Newbie in everything :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hi everyone my name is Jhongsen I'm from Indonesia so don't expect me to be good in english and I really need your help, so here we go.

my friend told me that tortoise has 2 kind , the water type and the land type and I think I will pick the land type , by the way I'm going to buy the little one in 6th april.
so here's my problem , i really don't have any idea how to prepare a "home" for my "coming soon" tortoise.. does anyone could help me here? please :(

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Hello Jhongsen! and welcome!

We will be able to help you out better if we know what you are going to get.
Will you be able to keep him or her indoors our outdoors?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) we can give all the help you need. We just need to know the species of tortoise you are getting. If you don't know what species it is, look on the Internet for different species of tortoises and see if you can find a picture of the one you are getting. Then let us know and you get lots of info

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!!

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Irwin4530 said:
Hello Jhongsen! and welcome!

We will be able to help you out better if we know what you are going to get.
Will you be able to keep him or her indoors our outdoors?

Hi irwin :D thx for ready my post , i'm goin to keep him indoors because i don't have garden in my house

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
thx everyone , i will give more detail on sunday (tomorrow) , i think i'm going to search for hatchling if possible :D , thx again for the attention

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
so in order to make a home for the little one , i need to know what species that i will choose? hoooooo alright , i'll give more detail information on sunday at noon (GTM+7)

by the way thx for welcoming me in the forum :D peace

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Are you picking the baby up on Sunday?

Do you have any thoughts about how you will be keeping it? An aquarium, a rubber tote, a wooden tortoise table?
You can look on this site under enclosures And get an idea about the sizes you would need for different species.

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Irwin4530 said:
Are you picking the baby up on Sunday?

Do you have any thoughts about how you will be keeping it? An aquarium, a rubber tote, a wooden tortoise table?
You can look on this site under enclosures And get an idea about the sizes you would need for different species.

well probably an aquarium , but is it really okay for the tortoise to be placed on an aquarium?

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Again, it would be helpful to know the type tortoise you're getting But if you know you're getting a hatchling Then an aquarium will be fine as long as it's big enough..... Babies need a lot of humidity!! I keep all of my babies on coconut coir and clean dirt..... Offer a hiding area with sphagnum Moss And lots of cover.....
If you are going with an aquarium Get the biggest aquarium you can get So it will last a long time.

Any idea on species yet

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
i already brought him home :D , an indian star , age around 1 year (that's what the seller say) , and i already attach some pic below
by the way my family decide to call him Meter :D hehe

please could you give me some instruction what should i do with his home?

Attachments

• IMG-20130407-01033.jpg
    IMG-20130407-01033.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG-20130407-01034.jpg
    IMG-20130407-01034.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG-20130407-01035.jpg
    IMG-20130407-01035.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG-20130407-01036.jpg
    IMG-20130407-01036.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 68

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh my goodness! Lovely-lovely! Now you can get the help you need specifically for your tortoise. Yay! Welcome to the forum and you will love all that you learn here to keep your little one happy. I am fairly new also and it helped me a lot. Best.Forum.Ever!

Your baby is awesome! Congratulations! : )

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
IMG-20130407-01038.jpg

i already make some adjustment for the light.. is this okay?

Last edited by a moderator:

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Congratulations! In my opinion your light is a little high. Is it a UV bulb? Because if it is then the UV rays will only reach about 30cm. And I'm not knowledgeable on the species so wait for somebody who is or post in the Indian Star section of the forum. But I imagine your substrate is too dry. Coco coir Is a good one to use as you can moisten it. Do you have a water bowl in there? Terra cotta plant saucers are great as they are narrow and your baby can't flip himself over in it. Your baby will need to drink. Have you soaked him yet in warm water? It will need to be upto the Bottom of his shell :)
Also, can you put a place to hide in there? At the moment I don't think your tort will feel safe. You can use a regular plant pot that has been washed.

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
LeopardTortLover said:
Congratulations! In my opinion your light is a little high. Is it a UV bulb? Because if it is then the UV rays will only reach about 30cm. And I'm not knowledgeable on the species so wait for somebody who is or post in the Indian Star section of the forum. But I imagine your substrate is too dry. Coco coir Is a good one to use as you can moisten it. Do you have a water bowl in there? Terra cotta plant saucers are great as they are narrow and your baby can't flip himself over in it. Your baby will need to drink. Have you soaked him yet in warm water? It will need to be upto the Bottom of his shell :)
Also, can you put a place to hide in there? At the moment I don't think your tort will feel safe. You can use a regular plant pot that has been washed.
thanks ms laura :D i really apprrciate it , okay noted... i already adjust it high enough now , uhmmm coco coir is some kind of a soil? i'm sorry my vocabulary isn't high enough to understand some word , and terra cotta plant.. is that kind of plant or pot? , i haven't soak him yet.. maybe in the morning i will soak him , ah so he will need some place to hide also? i will prepare a "dungeon" for him lol

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Oh my goodness! Lovely-lovely! Now you can get the help you need specifically for your tortoise. Yay! Welcome to the forum and you will love all that you learn here to keep your little one happy. I am fairly new also and it helped me a lot. Best.Forum.Ever!

Your baby is awesome! Congratulations! : )

Status
Not open for further replies.