Newbie in everything :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
LeopardTortLover said:
Ideally, you need a bigger enclosure, a longer one. So that you can make a gradient (low to high) of your temperatures. For example, mine go from 27oC to 39oC and then the basking spot is 42oC and my night temp is 24-27oC
My UV bulb creates my daytime heat at one end of the enclosure and my ceramic heat emitter (CHE) which doesn't produce light provides my night time heat. It is important your enclosure is quiet and dark and warm at night. Hope this helps.

i think i got what you mean , so i will need 3 lamp with different watt and i have to put a thermometer so set the temperature for each section , hmmm than for now i just need to put my heater light a little bit far from meter so he could sleep safe and sound... , thx laura that help me a lot :D

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Nooooo you won't need three different lights. the ones you have will be fine. Just with a bigger enclosure you can have a range of different temperatures. Thermometers only measure the temps, they can't change the temps.

Im going to get a photo and show you what i mean...

Heres my setup and some explanations. This is just an example of what you could do.

enclosure.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
LeopardTortLover said:
Nooooo you won't need three different lights. the ones you have will be fine. Just with a bigger enclosure you can have a range of different temperatures. Thermometers only measure the temps, they can't change the temps.

Im going to get a photo and show you what i mean...

Heres my setup and some explanations. This is just an example of what you could do.

ow , i see so i just put my heat bulb & UV bulb in the end of my place and set up some place for hiding and for sleep , i get it now :D

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Torts4Life! said:
Welcome!! I'm sure you will learn lots on TFO!!

thanks ms corey :D , i learn a lot on TFO

IMG-20130410-01063.jpg

i already make some arrangement for meter's home , i hope he will like it for temporary , i'm thinking of making a wood box 5' x 12' x 25' on friday

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Also, if you are going to wet the soil...please don't let the temps go below 80 degrees fahrenheit (26-27 celsius) even at night...so you may have to get a night heat light or a ceramic heat emitter to maintain night temps...if you wet the soil and let the temp drop below the 80 f degrees then your tort may become ill....

Pretty little tort and welcome to the Forum :D and you may also want to add a couple plants so that your tort can hide under/in the plants to feel secure....especially since he is small ;)

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
ascott said:
Also, if you are going to wet the soil...please don't let the temps go below 80 degrees fahrenheit (26-27 celsius) even at night...so you may have to get a night heat light or a ceramic heat emitter to maintain night temps...if you wet the soil and let the temp drop below the 80 f degrees then your tort may become ill....

Pretty little tort and welcome to the Forum :D and you may also want to add a couple plants so that your tort can hide under/in the plants to feel secure....especially since he is small ;)

not below 26-27 celsius.. okay noted , my thermometer and Hydro meter will come on monday :D , for the plant I couldn't give him right now because the aquarium is too small for everything :( but thanks for the advice I will think it out :D

I can't give him a wooden box right now but I made some modification again in his tank :D

before
IMG-20130411-01064.jpg

after
IMG-20130412-01065.jpg

I made some higher ground for him

my plant hasn't bloom out yet so I could only manage to get him lettuce from the market , is it okay to feed him lettuce only for a few weeks? I'm thinking to give him a variety to his food. is spinach okay? I got 2 kind of spinach in market , the red colour and green colour. oh I have tried parsley and coriander but he spit it away.
I couldn't find mix spring in my place so please don't mention that food :( sob

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Could you order some tortoise food online? And do you have any weeds and flowers in your garden he could eat? If you're not sure what he can eat check out the Plant Identification section of the forum and take a pic of the plant and say what species its for. Or you can order pellets online.

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
LeopardTortLover said:
Could you order some tortoise food online? And do you have any weeds and flowers in your garden he could eat? If you're not sure what he can eat check out the Plant Identification section of the forum and take a pic of the plant and say what species its for. Or you can order pellets online.

and again i would like to remind you that i don't have any garden in my house :( i already buy several pot to grew some flower and plants that meter would like to eat, but it still take another week to grew. plant indentification? hmmmm alright that will do :D thx

Godcomplex said:
Finally another indonesian member here

:cool: that's my line bro hehe

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
my current humidity is 81-82% and the temperature is about 34 celsius and keep rising , the hideout is about 28 celsius , am i already doing the right thing?

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
The humidity is perfect. As long as theres a place he can get his body temp upto 35oC and cool down to 27/28 its all good :)

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
ah.. i put some cold water to the substrate , it kinda freak me out so i put some wet cloth inside the enclosure and it raise a little bit , so i just need to wait until the water warms up? huff now i could sleep

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
it really weird... i already put water inside my enclosure and right now i'm put it on top to get the sunlight , the temperature shows 41 celsius but the humidity drops to 46% , why? is it because my substrate too dry?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Forgive me, I haven't read all the threads. Do you have a top on the enclosure? A top will hold the temps and humidity much better then an open top enclosure.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome to the forum. You've got a special specie there. I'd just love to get one someday. Just listen to those who own and know a out Indian star hatchlings, and you'll be fine. Keep us posted on your baby's progress.
jhongsen said:
i already brought him home :D , an indian star , age around 1 year (that's what the seller say) , and i already attach some pic below
by the way my family decide to call him Meter :D hehe

please could you give me some instruction what should i do with his home?

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
wellington said:
Forgive me, I haven't read all the threads. Do you have a top on the enclosure? A top will hold the temps and humidity much better then an open top enclosure.

yes i do have a top on the enclosure but it made of plastic and have some hole for air to come in , right now i already put a cloth on top , the humidity rise very good now , about 84% but the temperature stuck at 34,5 celcius

IMG-20130415-01073.jpg
here the pic of meter's enclosure , any suggestion for my enclosure? i still not yet have a MVB but nowadays i always put meter outside to have sunlight for 2-3 hours everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.