Newbie in everything :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
i wonder , how often do i have to change the substrate? it's been a week since i put the coco coir

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Coco coir can last upto about a year. But it can get dusty and cause breathing problems. I've experienced this. So I change mine every four/five months

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
LeopardTortLover said:
Coco coir can last upto about a year. But it can get dusty and cause breathing problems. I've experienced this. So I change mine every four/five months

i saw some bug , they looks like an ant but small size and white..
i'm thinking about change the substrate tomorrow to get rid of the bug ant like

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
That's probably best. Maybe find out what the bug is first so you know where it came from. Coco coir Is usually sterilized to stop bugs And bacteria

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Those tiny bugs are really hard to get rid of, but you could try taking all your coco coir out and boiling it in a big pot, then let it cool off and put it back. It should kill the bugs.

The little white bugs seem to be pretty harmless though, lots of people have them in their substrate. Some people even put bugs in their substrate on purpose (wood lice, pill bugs, worms, etc) to break down their soil and any leftover tortoise poo and make it better for growing plants and stuff.

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
hmmmm the bugs are harmless to meter? well the bug only show up when meter digging on the substrate , may be i'll just let the bugs and change it gradually. thanks for the advice :D

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
yesterday i tried give meter some hibiscus but it apparently he didn't eat it... is it because he is still a baby so he couldn't eat hibiscus? or it because meter doesn't like hibiscus? hmmm

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Tortoises are notorious for being reluctant to trying new foods. If he's never eaten it before it will take a few attempts to get him eating it. You could try chopping it up small so it's easy for him to eat or you could try mixing some in with the food he will eat so he gets the taste for it. :)

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
LeopardTortLover said:
Tortoises are notorious for being reluctant to trying new foods. If he's never eaten it before it will take a few attempts to get him eating it. You could try chopping it up small so it's easy for him to eat or you could try mixing some in with the food he will eat so he gets the taste for it. :)

wow really? hmm okay :D thx for the answer hehe

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I learned that Meter is a glass land tortoise type... do he need to walk on grass? it's been a month since I adopt him and i never let him graze in grass, only in his tank and on up stairs with ceramic floor

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I found some grass field near from my home , the space are quite big and has many grass and plants , but I notice there are some fire ants. Is it safe to let meter on that field? The size of the ants are small but it is still a fire ant

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I don't know much about them but I've heard they're VERY bad news when it comes to tortoises. So no, I wouldn't put him on there. They can gang up and attack even large animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.