Newbie in need of help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilfrklow

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey guys my girlfriend and I just got a new additon to the family. His name is Marley!!! and we just got him from petco. The guys there said it is a male... but didn't know exactly what kind he was or his age!!! the label on the aquarium said it was of asian origin .. but don't know exactly what that means...We love Marley alot and want to take the best care of him... I've been doing alot of research on tortoises lately and still can't tell what kind he is or his age!!!... So i'm gonna post some pics of him and his new home... Thanks for any help and and we look forward to learning more about our new buddy MARLEY!!! Thank ya...

Billy & Amanda

Attachments

• P3120001_edited.JPG
    P3120001_edited.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 26
  • P3120003.JPG
    P3120003.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 20
  • P3120006.JPG
    P3120006.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 27
  • P3120005.JPG
    P3120005.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 27

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Billy and Amanda,
Marley is a Russian tortoise, Testudo horsfieldii :D For us to tell sex your going to have to take some pictures of his underside (plastron) and tail.
Also your going to need a larger enclosure and more light on Marley, as in a florscent light.
Check out this website for Russian tortoises http://www.russiantortoise.org/

Danny

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
What Danny said! Russians rock, so good choice! Petstore knowledge (when it comes to sales associates) SUCK, so definately keep on researching! When you are ready to move him to a bigger enclosure, best to go with something like a huge rubbermaid storage tote or make a wooden table for him; these are more ideal than the aquarium (which is a poor environment for him). Post tummy pics and someone will tell you the sex for sure! If he's truly a male, he won't grow too much more for you, males only get up to around 5" generally. This guy looks Wild Caught, but that is no surprise coming from PetCo!

Congrats on a sweet buy, and good luck (and good job for doing some research!!)

wilfrklow

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks guys.. thats really cool to know he's a Russian.. we're gonna keep looking for a bigger place for him... I'll take some more pics to see if its really a he or not, but he's sleeping so, later, maybe tommorrow... So they capture wild tortoises and re-sell them... thats crazy but I'm glad they found Marley!!! Hey, he just made low grunt noise... first thing I've heard from him :)

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Congrats on your new russian. Russians are great torts! There is alot of info here on them. Welcome to the forum!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Billy and Amanda welcome to the forum and congrats on your new russian Marley and I like the name.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Welcome to TFO... Congrats on your new russian, your gonna love him/her.

Status
Not open for further replies.