Newbie interested in red foots and questions about terrarium

Melissa.

5 Year Member
Hi everyone :). I'm new here and have a lot of questions. I'm interested in buying or adopting my first tortoises! Are there any reputable sites that anyone would recommend? There are not a lot of options in Kansas, but I'm willing to drive a few hours out of the way as well.

I'd like to build or purchase a terrarium and get all of the equipment first. I think I'd like to get two red foots so they can keep each other company when I'm away. I was thinking of getting some plywood from home depot to put together the terrarium. How big should it be? It would just be a simple rectangle box with no top, but some kind of support where the uv light and heating lamp would hang over. I was also considering a kiddie pool or plastic tub too.

What kind of substrate do you recommend and why?
Most economical heating lamp and uv light? How many wattage? How much has your bills gone up since you've had tortoises? What hours of the day do you leave the uv on? I think I read somewhere that light should be changed every six months or so. How about the heating lamp?
I wanted to grow some plants in there too. Does it need to be potted? Is this a good idea or will they eat the plants?
I've also been wanting to grow veggies indoors but was worried about lack of lighting and humidity indoors. Would it be a good idea to grow some veggies in a container/pot inside of the terrarium where the tortoises wouldn't be able to reach? In this case would I need a better terrarium that would insulate heat and humidity?
How often do you take your tortoise to the vet? How do you know when they're sick?
How often to mist terrarium?
To my understanding, one side of the terrarium should always be warm and moist and the other side cool/dry with a hiding spot? And then a little dish to drink and soak in, and a thermostat. Is there anything else?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you so much

Melissa.

5 Year Member
If anyone wants to send photos of their indoor enclosures that would be really awesome! The reason I didn't want to get glass was because I thought it could be dangerous. Unless I could find one that has solid borders at the bottom

Merrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
First if all pairs are not a good idea tortoises aren't luke mammals were they need company and each other affection sets if tgree or one is much better three do that they do not always pick in one guy it alternates. Grow food if you like and mist best on humidity but us best to mist in the morning. Take them to the vet as much as you want but I would recommend once a year. Plastic totes work great for insulation just cut holes for light. Their are a gew signs if they are sick. Lookup pyrimading and coil bulbs.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Welcome to TFO Melissa. I am not familiar with Redfoots but I figured I'd chime in anyways. If you go to the species specific forums, there is a Redfoot section. I would start there and read as many threads as you can. I got my tortoises from tortoisesupply.com. I don't know if they sell Redfoots, but they are great and worth checking out.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would not build an open top. Redfoots need high humidity and high temperatures, and in an open top all of this would escape. If you wanted a different species, like a Russian, you would be fine with an open top. You need to monitor the temperatures and humidity in your habitat, and you can do so with a hygrometer - I would recommend buying a digital one as the gauges are often inaccurate.

I use coco coir and sphagnum moss for my substrate. Coco coir can be easily passed if ingested, it doesn't mold, and does not attract bugs. They can easily dig into it as well and it holds moisture well. I have a misting system in my enclosure that goes off every 3 hours.

In my experience, no plants can thrive in this closed chamber environment, except maybe pothos and spider plants. Everything else I've had has died. Your tortoise would also eat the plants to the ground, as mine does. I also recommend taking your tortoise to the vet initially for a check-up and a stool sample to make sure he or she is clear of parasites, and I would only buy ONE tortoise as they often are bullied in pairs.

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
I would not build an open top. Redfoots need high humidity and high temperatures, and in an open top all of this would escape. If you wanted a different species, like a Russian, you would be fine with an open top. You need to monitor the temperatures and humidity in your habitat, and you can do so with a hygrometer - I would recommend buying a digital one as the gauges are often inaccurate.

I use coco coir and sphagnum moss for my substrate. Coco coir can be easily passed if ingested, it doesn't mold, and does not attract bugs. They can easily dig into it as well and it holds moisture well. I have a misting system in my enclosure that goes off every 3 hours.

In my experience, no plants can thrive in this closed chamber environment, except maybe pothos and spider plants. Everything else I've had has died. Your tortoise would also eat the plants to the ground, as mine does. I also recommend taking your tortoise to the vet initially for a check-up and a stool sample to make sure he or she is clear of parasites, and I would only buy ONE tortoise as they often are bullied in pairs.
Did you put in a uva bulb with your plants in the closed chamber

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Did you put in a uva bulb with your plants in the closed chamber

I did, but the main issue was the plants would rot. My coleus, African violets and Christmas cactus lasted about a week or two before the plants rotted at the roots and the leaves would just fall off. Too much humidity, I guess? I stink with plants :(