newbie looking to adopt 3 toed boxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have a female 3 toed box turtle who needs a companion. I am looking for another female for right now. I have never bred her.:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi jojodesca:

Welcome

We’re glad you’re here!!!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Welcome to the forum!

One of the great things about reptile pets is that they really don't care about having companions. In fact, in a lot of cases, having a second reptile (i.e., in your case, a second box turtle) around just stresses them out, because they only view that other animal as competition for food, shelter, and basking sites. And stress is definitely no good for your baby.

If you want a second box turtle, by all means, get one! But keep in mind a couple things: First of all, you'll need to quarantine the new turtle away from yours, in case the new one is ill. That means keeping it in a separate enclosure, using all separate tools, washing your hands before and after tending to either turtle, and keeping a close eye on both turtles' health. Second, if you do decide to try pairing them up, you'll need a much larger than normal enclosure to ensure they both have enough space to get away from each other. And, if problems arise, you may need to separate them permanently (which, actually, makes that quarantine period pretty convenient, because, if you do have to split them up, you'll already have a full set up on hand to do it with!).

So, what I'm getting at is, if you get another box turtle, get it for you, not for your turtle.

Again, welcome to the forum. We're happy to have you!

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
if your planning on getting another female GREAT, as a male will only hound her i find its best to have females, up until at least three before getting a male so he can spend his time split between 3 rather then just one. ill admit though my girls seem to enjoy each other but the above poster is right get another for YOU not the TURT : ) as they dont "need" a friend

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Hi and welcome. I have kept box turtles for many years, and have noticed that they frequently pair off....the females ....not the males. In other words I truly believe they interact, and enjoy each others company.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
terryo said:
Hi and welcome. I have kept box turtles for many years, and have noticed that they frequently pair off....the females ....not the males. In other words I truly believe they interact, and enjoy each others company.

Learned something new today. :) Thanks for your input, Terry!

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
ty for your input. I finally found that I had 10 replies (hehe). I really want to make the right decision about adopting another turtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.