Newbie needing advice on feeding and substrate

Jessmason

Location (City and/or State)
Wiltshire England
Hi there so I’ve had my little horse field tortoise for a few weeks now. The pet shop recommended a soil type substrate but I found he was constipated on this one so I changed it to an edible substrate for now but would love to know peoples opinions on best substrates. Was also told to put straw in his bedding area again is that what you guys would advise?? And I’ve just started growing my own food for him so he has a continual year round supply of fresh food so I need to still put calcium powder in this? And one last question any ideas on outside space I live in England so not always hot and sunny but would love him to have as much outdoors time as possible for the sunlight etc. And just any other tips or advice in general you think is good is very much appreciated. Thank you and sorry for long post just want to make sure I’m doing everything right!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

As you've already learned, pet shops give terrible advice and sell you all the wrong stuff. Here is the current and correct care info you seek:

All your current questions are answered in this thread, but more questions are welcome! :)

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
Hi, welcome to the forum..
Have a good thorough read the care sheet Tom has linked!
Its all 100% up to date relevant information.

I know your not going to want to hear it after changing twice already but get rid of the edible substrate asap imo

I'm in the UK too and stuff listed on the forum isn't always available over here and vice versa.

I'm currently using-
Sterilized topsoil from Wickes-
(hand sifted by myself to make sure there's nothing dangerous in there,

Coco coir brick (garden center/amazon)

I mix the two together -1part soil to 3 parts coco @ 4inch deep in the enclosure floor

And I use repti-bark course grade orchid bark as the top layer @1 inch deep (Reptile shop/amazon etc)

It's worked great so far, easy to clean, cheap, no mould and holds the moisture really well helping maintain humidity and allow plenty of digging space for your tort to thermo-regulate. The bark also stays pretty dry so stops the place turning into a stompy tortoise mud bath!

Obviously there are lots of different substrates available, I just suggested these based off my own experience and the fact they're readily available in the UK.

Jessmason

Wiltshire England
Hi, welcome to the forum..
Have a good thorough read the care sheet Tom has linked!
Its all 100% up to date relevant information.

I know your not going to want to hear it after changing twice already but get rid of the edible substrate asap imo

I'm in the UK too and stuff listed on the forum isn't always available over here and vice versa.

I'm currently using-
Sterilized topsoil from Wickes-
(hand sifted by myself to make sure there's nothing dangerous in there,

Coco coir brick (garden center/amazon)

I mix the two together -1part soil to 3 parts coco @ 4inch deep in the enclosure floor

And I use repti-bark course grade orchid bark as the top layer @1 inch deep (Reptile shop/amazon etc)

It's worked great so far, easy to clean, cheap, no mould and holds the moisture really well helping maintain humidity and allow plenty of digging space for your tort to thermo-regulate. The bark also stays pretty dry so stops the place turning into a stompy tortoise mud bath!

Obviously there are lots of different substrates available, I just suggested these based off my own experience and the fact they're readily available in the UK.
Thank you for replying. Just wanted to check do you use the same substrate throughout enclosure or do you have seperate for bed area? Looks like a trip to wicked it is ?

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
No I have the same in the bedding area and he just burrows down into it on the warm side when he's ready to call it a day! ?
Yea it's decent stuff to be fair... as I said, just make sure you double check it for anything that's potentially slipped through, glass, stones, plastic etc. Although I've only found a grape sized pebble so far.

Get some photos posted up of your enclosure and setup, when your done!
There's plenty of great guidance and input from these folks!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi welcome from another Brit! I use 100 % Orchid Bark bought from swell reptiles online. I spray water daily for humidity. Have a read of care sheet and ask questions on here. I make deeper piles in the corner and under hide as they like to dig and burrow so helps that activity. If you only see top shell scutes that is ok they manage to breath! Enjoy

Jessmason

Wiltshire England
Thank you for all the advice. Here is shelby’s new home! Any feedback welcome as obviously still learning ?

Attachments

• FB7176BA-922E-4A4E-82CB-CF31AC9559F4.jpeg
    FB7176BA-922E-4A4E-82CB-CF31AC9559F4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 23490B2C-38C3-44EC-8C6B-87BA282A1FF4.jpeg
    23490B2C-38C3-44EC-8C6B-87BA282A1FF4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You've done well. I just have two comments:
1. The substrate chunks are a bit too large for such small tortoise. You need fine grade orchid bark, or coco coir that is hand packed and compacted.
2. The clamps on the lamps cannot be trusted. They always fail eventually and this can burn your whole house down. Hang the lamp from over head. You can make a gallows type apparatus with some wood and screws to suspend the fixture from. This will also allow you to easily raise or lower the fixture to get the correct temp under it. A flat rock directly under the lamp will help too.