newbie needs help with heat lamp & uvb lamp

tammy eastwood

Hello, ive just rescued a Horsefield tortoise & i am trying to get as much info as i can to make sure he/she is well cared for, my main question is, i have a heat lamp & a uvb light but i am not sure how long i need to have the heat lamp on for & how long do i need to have the uvb light on for, some people say the heat lamp should be on all the time & the uvb light on for 12-14 hours is this correct ? there is so much different advice & i am not sure what is correct. Thank you for your help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There are multiple way to do this, and none of them necessarily right or wrong. This is why you are getting mixed info. Generally speaking we want to mimic what happens in nature. Sun comes up in the morning everything gets warmer, and then the sun sets and its cooler and dark at night. Try to do the same thing in your enclosure. Some people have the sun up for 12 hours a day, while other mimic the natural light cycles outside and go 13-14 hours of summer sun and 9-10 hours of winter sun, depending on the seasons. Some people hibernate them over winter and some people don't.

What sort of UV bulb are you using/ The coil type cfl bulbs can sometimes damage their eyes and I recommend you don't use that type.

Best case would be to get your tortoise outside for real sunshine everyday in a safe enclosure, or at least a few times a week. Then you won;t need any indoor UV.

Here is a care sheet: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

And this might help too: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

zanervenzor

So I don't have a uv light either for my tortoise but I take him out in the sun for 30 min a day. Do I still need to get him a uv light?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Why not be safe and have the uv light along with the sun exposure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So I don't have a uv light either for my tortoise but I take him out in the sun for 30 min a day. Do I still need to get him a uv light?
You do not "need" it at all, so yes, your tortoise will be fine. Be sure not to buy one of the coil type cfl UV bulbs as those can damage their eyes.