newbie questions

smylemaker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
new Russian owner and I am still trying to figure out lots of stuff.

after Fred eats his face is covered with food, do you wash it off or will he clean himself?

seems soaking makes him move his bowels or pee. if he makes a mess in bowl while soaking do you let him soak in that water or get clean every time they go ? ( I wouldnt want to soak in poopie water ) ick (lol) but then again I dont usually go potty in my tub water (HA!)

my kids want to kiss him, but I am a little nervous b/c I wonder if Torts can have bacteria or germs that we can get? Fred is very kissable looking & so friendly ya almost cant help yourself...

so thats all I'll bug you all with today :p

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Re: RE: newbie questions

smylemaker said:
new Russian owner and I am still trying to figure out lots of stuff.

after Fred eats his face is covered with food, do you wash it off or will he clean himself?

seems soaking makes him move his bowels or pee. if he makes a mess in bowl while soaking do you let him soak in that water or get clean every time they go ? ( I wouldnt want to soak in poopie water ) ick (lol) but then again I dont usually go potty in my tub water (HA!)

my kids want to kiss him, but I am a little nervous b/c I wonder if Torts can have bacteria or germs that we can get? Fred is very kissable looking & so friendly ya almost cant help yourself...

so thats all I'll bug you all with today :p

hey there! we've all had these thoughts before :p

most torts can clean the food off their face themselves with their feet. if you see him having trouble or it's in his eye, feel free to help! it's honestly your decision.

if your tort has made a mess in his tub it's a good idea to clean it. you should always keep the water warm as well.

and here's a web page that can answer your questions regarding your children and torts :)
http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/spotlight_an_turtles.htm

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
Hi and welcome! Yes you should change his tub water once he "lets loose." I usually put Walter back in a clean tub if he has not soaked at least 30 minutes. I would not let your kiddos kiss him as irresistable as he is.... :) They can carry bacteria that would make them sick. Everyone should also wash their hands after handling. Any pictures of Fred????? That is a requirement :)

smylemaker

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I dont see the web site stinax182 ... did you post a link ? LOL dont mind me I am a giant goofball and maybe I dont see it (LOL)

I keep it nice and warm when we soak him, and he always messes in it, if we soak for 20 minutes or so, the water gets chilled shortly so do you suggest cleaning /reheating a few times in that 20 minute time?

ok now I have a question that I kinda feel weird asking :p should I towel dry Fred after he soaks ? or will he get chilled if I dont ?

I notice his nails are looking rather long, I have looked at some photos here of fellow Russian owners and his nails look about the same, but when I hold him they can really scratch and hurt if we dont hold him just right ... I'll post a pix so you can see what I'm yapping about

LOL Ruth.... we all just Love Fred so much.. I thought I was getting my kids a friend, but really he is all mine.... I cant believe how much I am loving this little guy... I told my kids over and over why do you want a turtle it is like watch a rock ? LOL... little did I know.. so not the truth.... I will post a few pictures of my new guy... btw he usually goes a few minutes after I put him in for a soak, then I change it, then goes again.. today it was a weird looking white stuff, so I changed it then right after a solid... glad he is going potty. but man he is a machine today... gosh I really sound like a new Momma talking 'bout poopiez ... (LOL) No one but another tortle luvr would understand just how much love we could have for these little guys <3

a few Fred Pictures.. had to post one of his cute behind, we were told he is a male, but I'll let you tell me what you think ...I did post his nails what do you think are they ready to be clipped ?

I see the link now... I thought the salmonella was only from pond turtles... little do I know... I might have to lysol , my lips cuz I too had kissed his little head :p UT OH >

Attachments

• IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0489.JPG
    IMG_0489.JPG
    988 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0477.JPG
    IMG_0477.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 11