Newbie Russian outdoor enclosure

helosoldier66

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Alabama
Recently received 2 Russian tortoise and have never owned a tortoise. I would like to let them live outdoors and wanted some input on what I have built so far. Any recommendations would be appreciated. It measures roughly 10ft x 15ft. Still working on the top of the wall and corners to deter escapes.

20180301_103156.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks pretty.

I'd divide it up. They should not be housed in pairs. It will end badly for one or both. They need separate enclosure indoors and out.

Also, is that sand? Sand is a huge impaction risk and possible skin and eye irritant. I'd get rid of as much of it as you can and don't ever feed them near that area. Shop vac maybe?

Also, did you buy those flowers at a nursery? If yes, they are grown with systemic pesticides that can last for 12 months in the plants tissues. Gotta grow your own from seed, or find an "organic" nursery that doesn't use any chemicals when growing new plants.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Good size for a Russian, looks promising! :D I would be careful if those flowers were newly bought, they are probably treated with pesticides. If I buy plants I usually keep them in the garden a few months before I put them in the enclosure.

When do you start on the second enclosure?

helosoldier66

5 Year Member
Southern Alabama
Looks pretty.

I'd divide it up. They should not be housed in pairs. It will end badly for one or both. They need separate enclosure indoors and out.

Also, is that sand? Sand is a huge impaction risk and possible skin and eye irritant. I'd get rid of as much of it as you can and don't ever feed them near that area. Shop vac maybe?

Also, did you buy those flowers at a nursery? If yes, they are grown with systemic pesticides that can last for 12 months in the plants tissues. Gotta grow your own from seed, or find an "organic" nursery that doesn't use any chemicals when growing new plants.

The sand is filler for the grass that grows here in Alabama and the dirt here is mostly sand/clay mix so not much I can do there.
The plants being sprayed are something I didn't consider when I got them. I did buy seed yesterday to grow more.

helosoldier66

5 Year Member
Southern Alabama
Good size for a Russian, looks promising! :D I would be careful if those flowers were newly bought, they are probably treated with pesticides. If I buy plants I usually keep them in the garden a few months before I put them in the enclosure.

When do you start on the second enclosure?

The tortoises will be indoors for a few more weeks to give everything a chance to take root and grow a little.
The second enclosure as in separating the 2 Russians?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you should allow them together outside under careful supervision for the first little while. It may work out that they can live together. Just be sure there are plenty of sight barriers so she can get out of his sight.

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
Looks great! What are the walls and floor reinforced with? Just asking because Russians are known to be great climbers and diggers, and if given the chance to escape, they will (either up the walls or under the enclosure).

helosoldier66

5 Year Member
Southern Alabama
Looks great! What are the walls and floor reinforced with? Just asking because Russians are known to be great climbers and diggers, and if given the chance to escape, they will (either up the walls or under the enclosure).

3 Sides are concrete down over 1.5 feet and the 4th is chicken wire under ground 2ft into the enclosure

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Looking good. My outdoor Russian loves to climb. If it were me, I’d put in some more things to walk around or over.

You’re right, not much you can do about your local clay. Won’t take long for them to pack it down, I’m sure. We have clay and decomposed granite here and do okay. I feed my tortoise on hard surfaces, or at least I do when she isn’t free grazing. When she’s grazing she’s pulling leaves down from overhead, not eating them off the dirt.

She does dig and burrow in our clay; yours will as well.