Newbie saying hi and asking advice.

Peach

Hiya guys my name is Traci and I live in Hampshire UK, I'm a mummy to 5 year old horse field tort was called boycie but now known as boycina!! On July the 4th I rescued 4 new laid eggs an old lady's spur theigh tort escaped and obviously done what there good at!! Once she dug them up I rescued them from her and put in incubator, now as I'm new to this how long on an average will it take for spur theight to hatch, humidity is 75% and temp is 30c I'm using a exo terra incubator. So all advice welcome, once again nice to meet you all and I will upload pics of eggs which are 53 days today and also introduce my little lady.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 16

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome!
I know that after a certain amount of time has passed, it is critical that you do not move or rotate the eggs. Most of us write a little "x" on the shell as an orientation spot "UP" as well as the date with a pencil.
Best of luck to you.
As for myself, I've never had an egg hatch...:(

Peach

This is first time of ever dealing with torts from egg, so kinda scared as don't want to lose them ;-( as soon as dug up a x was put on them and that's been it, i read all these story's on candling to see if there viable but haven't ever done it, the concern I do have is with one egg it seems to of formed cracks, not sure if this is a sign of hatching soon or something is wrong. Can you kindly have a look and tell me if this is ok? Thank you all for your welcome messages it's very kind of you all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Too much moisture makes the eggs swell and check (crack).

Peach

There is no liquid coming from it luckily. I understand if egg is not viable it will smell,change colour and if shining a light through would look a white colour. So fingers crossed things will be ok. A light was shown into it and this was found which I think is amazing,but will never be done again I will upload pic.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
If an infertile egg changes color, is this what you mean?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440559881.804065.jpg
Because the three on the left were white before, just like the two on the right. One of my rescue females started laying randomly but didn't bury any, and just one at a time. The first time was just one egg, the second time was almost a week later and it was four eggs, but each egg was by itself and they were scattered around her enclosure. I was watching the entire time, but didn't realize she was squeezing them out as she was wondering around. I don't even know if she knew they were coming out because she didn't stop at any of the spots I found an egg in.

Alaskamike

South Florida
At the beginning of this thread you mentioned a spur- thigh tortoise got to your horsefield tort.

While there are some types that can cross ( like Leopards & Sulcata) I wonder if these two could. Apparently there is allot I don't know about breeding. :)

Has anyone experienced this ?
I know females will sometimes lay eggs that have not been fertilized.

Peach

Hi ya, a slight cross communication here, we have a 5 year old horsefield that no one will get near as a prolapse happened 2 years ago so no intention of breading.
We rescued 4 spur thighed eggs & have tbem in an exo terra incubator, what im interested in is one egg that is cracked but not weeping, i shon a torch on it to see what is what but would like another opinion if it is still viable.. Picture sent in previous thread.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Hi ya, a slight cross communication here, we have a 5 year old horsefield that no one will get near as a prolapse happened 2 years ago so no intention of breading.
We rescued 4 spur thighed eggs & have tbem in an exo terra incubator, what im interested in is one egg that is cracked but not weeping, i shon a torch on it to see what is what but would like another opinion if it is still viable.. Picture sent in previous thread.

Don't mess with the eggs. As a rule of thumb you leave the eggs until it either hatches or stinks/pops. Good luck!

Peach

Thank you tortdad, you have a lovely looking tort there, what is he/she?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Traci and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Boycina.
Good luck with the eggs