Newbie saying howdy

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefatmanhimself

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Spain
Hi there

I am a new tortoise owner after finding a sick tortoise while working and living in the south of spain, lucky i nursed him back to a rock climbing, flower munching bugger :p after looking online i have come to the conclusion he is a med tortoise

here he is, his name if Freddie

But i have a issue he has a flap of skin, that looks like its been cut or scraped away, i have used betadine (anti infection) on it, but i dont know if i should pull the flap away or leave it,

hopefully if i look after him and love him right he should out live myself :p

i do not know how old he is i was wondering if there are any tips on telling this?

thanks for your time

Fattie + Freddie

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I'm not too good at identifying tortoises, but I don't think that is a mediteranean specis (genus Testudo). I'm not sure what species of tortoise that is. I would let the skin fall off on its own, keep washing with Betadine every now and then, and everything should be fine. It is not really possible to tell a tortoises age, you can make a guess, but that can be pretty far off.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Could we have a good clear photo of his plastron (undershell) including his tail which will help with identification? Another clear photo of the head will help too. Given your location, Testudo of some sort is quite likely.

Leave the flapping skin well alone, don't pull at it or try to cut it off. If there is no wound under the flap, there is no need to treat it at all. Tortoises shed skin and can look very tatty while doing so, it's entirely normal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, F - ah ----- I'm sorry, but I have a problem calling you "Fattie." If its all the same to you, I'll call you FM instead.

Just leave that skin alone. It should come off on its own as it heals.

thefatmanhimself

5 Year Member
South Spain
Thank you for the reply, just so you know the name is ironic as i am and thin as they come, (from highschool and has been my gaming and forum name for years) but what ever makes you happy (Y) right i shall leave well alone, and i do believe it is a scrape or cut as its been very raw for a while, i shall work on clearer photos when i have some free time, (right now with it being nearly summer time alot of work coming it, deweeding and strimming) look forward to using this forum for discussion and general chat,

again thank you for taking the time in commenting :)

F&F

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's just that my husband's nickname for me was "Tubby." I was not overweight, but he always thought I was overweight. I hated being called Tubby and I would never dare to make fun of someone's weight by calling them a nickname.

So, even though you are thin, to me you are FM. (Short for "fine-lookin' man"!!!!!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi Fattie and welcome. My ancestors are from Spain. Who knows, maybe we are distant relatives. One Thing is for sure, we both love tortoises. I particularly love to care for tortoises that are sick. I'm so glad you found Freddie because he looks beautiful. Best to you, and keep in touch.

thefatmanhimself

5 Year Member
South Spain
I have recently upgraded his outdoor pen, from a old cat cage (i made when my cat fell from a tree and could not walk) too a Bigger area enclosed with blocks and bricks, (not pretty by any means) but it is a prototype until i have the money for some wood and some extra luxury items for him (Lumbar is expensive here in spain)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Be sure to take pictures as you build it. We love to watch building progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.