Newbie to the forum

Jemzfarm

Location (City and/or State)
Southwest England
Hey! Just wanted to say hello. I’m from the U.K. (Southwest England )
My mum used to be on forums for many years-she sadly passed unexpectedly a couple of years ago. We’ve had our tortoise since we were young..he(although ‘he’ is actually a ‘she’) is around 16 years old now at a rough guess (Hermann tort) we’re currently trying to locate all his paperwork etc to be 100% sure.
Anyway he lives with me now and we’re currently in the process of making him a proper outdoor garden enclosure! And I’m really looking forward to it as I love designing things like this. Any tips would be appreciated!(He loves it outdoors and only comes inside when we have bad weather, or if he just feels like popping in, he’s pretty much had free roam(safely) from around 3-4years old) I want to put in plants and weeds etc that he will enjoy munching on, Ive heard petunias are a favourite but as I said any advice would be appreciated. Also what types of cold frames do people use? I’ve been looking into lamisol? All I want is the best for him(her) and want to make it amazing. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to comment ☺️

Jemzfarm

Southwest England
Hello and Welcome. I will let others that knows your weather help you more with the cold frame etc.
However I can help with safe plants too add. Check out this website https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

Hello! Thank you so much for replying. I really do appreciate it. If this makes any sense at all...I have been searching and researching daily but find so many conflicting arguments that I just don’t know what to do for the best. I’m nearly 30...so you know, we’ve had him for a while and I took a keen interest from the minute my mum and dad bought him home! I’m not saying I am experienced in anyway whatsoever at all but I know the basics and a little more. Thank you for the website I will go and have a look

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hey! Just wanted to say hello. I’m from the U.K. (Southwest England )
My mum used to be on forums for many years-she sadly passed unexpectedly a couple of years ago. We’ve had our tortoise since we were young..he(although ‘he’ is actually a ‘she’) is around 16 years old now at a rough guess (Hermann tort) we’re currently trying to locate all his paperwork etc to be 100% sure.
Anyway he lives with me now and we’re currently in the process of making him a proper outdoor garden enclosure! And I’m really looking forward to it as I love designing things like this. Any tips would be appreciated!(He loves it outdoors and only comes inside when we have bad weather, or if he just feels like popping in, he’s pretty much had free roam(safely) from around 3-4years old) I want to put in plants and weeds etc that he will enjoy munching on, Ive heard petunias are a favourite but as I said any advice would be appreciated. Also what types of cold frames do people use? I’ve been looking into lamisol? All I want is the best for him(her) and want to make it amazing. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to comment [emoji5]
Summoned by @wellimgton! :)

Hello and welcome to TFO from Kent (south east England for those not so familiar with UK geography). We have had our tort since 1970

Firstly let me share my thread on outdoor accommodation in the UK which you may find helpful
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

I also recommend that you read the Beginner Mistakes thread as it has useful general information
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

In terms of food plants, the Tortoise Table is ideal. Look up plants on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability .... the website is pretty comprehensive.
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

The Shelled Warriors Shop is a great source of seeds for plants suitable for torts
https://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/seeds---grow-your-own-food-302-c.asp

I'm happy to answer any questions :)

Jemzfarm

Southwest England
Summoned by @wellimgton! :)

Hello and welcome to TFO from Kent (south east England for those not so familiar with UK geography). We have had our tort since 1970

Firstly let me share my thread on outdoor accommodation in the UK which you may find helpful
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

I also recommend that you read the Beginner Mistakes thread as it has useful general information
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

In terms of food plants, the Tortoise Table is ideal. Look up plants on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability .... the website is pretty comprehensive.
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

The Shelled Warriors Shop is a great source of seeds for plants suitable for torts
https://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/seeds---grow-your-own-food-302-c.asp

I'm happy to answer any questions :)

Thank you for answering your summons haha! Sorry for the delay in replying, I’m new to the whole forum thing. I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it. My mum however used to be obsessed over the years and would say things like ‘well you wouldn’t believe what I found out today on a forum’

Wow since 1970! My auntie has had hers a good 10-12 years now roughly. I am not sure what type they are (quite large) but they’ve been passed down and it’s been worked out they’re around 102 years old!!

Thanks for the links, I appreciate that. I’ll go and have a good read. I’ve been on the tortoise table on and off and I actually only found shelled warriors last night by chance on eBay when looking for seeds and saw they had a website!

I probably will ask questions..a lot..and I apologise in advance ;) but I am one of these that always wants to double check (and triple check) to make sure I am getting it right. I mean I do know the basics and common sense side of things but I feel you can never know too much! It’s also nice when getting advice from those in the U.K as we all know what the weather is like over here I think having him from when we were a young age, both me and my brothers wanted to get involved with everything and we were genuinely interested in learning. It’s amazing looking back on some pictures of how tiny he was!

Some advice I would really love when anyone is free is hibernation. I’ve only done it myself once with extensive instructions when my mum was away many years ago and I was so scared I couldn’t wait for her to get home! I know I few things but am certainly not confident in this area at all and if I’m honest all I can vaguely remember from it is weighing him and not feeding for a couple of weeks before and panicking like crazy

I love our tortoise so much, I think he’s so lovely with a funny grumpy character. I’ve ordered all the sleepers and wood bits from the builders merchants and that was all delivered on Tuesday. So from tomorrow we’re building and landscaping..well .. when I say we, my partners building and I’m landscaping I’ve got to get some turf and a bag of large slate chippings as I had no idea how much they warm up, I put a slate table mat out just to see if it really did heat up like I’ve read and he loved it! Also few littl bits and bobs. But the main issue I’m having is finding things to plant that I don’t have to grow from seed. I don’t mind growing from seed at all as we’ve got a little veg plot, but I really wanted to plant some things this weekend and all I seem to find is tiny plug plants.

I am so sorry for the lengthy post. If you actually get to the end without getting bored...well done and thank you Looking forward to getting to know you all

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you for answering your summons haha! Sorry for the delay in replying, I’m new to the whole forum thing. I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it. My mum however used to be obsessed over the years and would say things like ‘well you wouldn’t believe what I found out today on a forum’

Wow since 1970! My auntie has had hers a good 10-12 years now roughly. I am not sure what type they are (quite large) but they’ve been passed down and it’s been worked out they’re around 102 years old!!

Thanks for the links, I appreciate that. I’ll go and have a good read. I’ve been on the tortoise table on and off and I actually only found shelled warriors last night by chance on eBay when looking for seeds and saw they had a website!

I probably will ask questions..a lot..and I apologise in advance ;) but I am one of these that always wants to double check (and triple check) to make sure I am getting it right. I mean I do know the basics and common sense side of things but I feel you can never know too much! It’s also nice when getting advice from those in the U.K as we all know what the weather is like over here I think having him from when we were a young age, both me and my brothers wanted to get involved with everything and we were genuinely interested in learning. It’s amazing looking back on some pictures of how tiny he was!

Some advice I would really love when anyone is free is hibernation. I’ve only done it myself once with extensive instructions when my mum was away many years ago and I was so scared I couldn’t wait for her to get home! I know I few things but am certainly not confident in this area at all and if I’m honest all I can vaguely remember from it is weighing him and not feeding for a couple of weeks before and panicking like crazy

I love our tortoise so much, I think he’s so lovely with a funny grumpy character. I’ve ordered all the sleepers and wood bits from the builders merchants and that was all delivered on Tuesday. So from tomorrow we’re building and landscaping..well .. when I say we, my partners building and I’m landscaping I’ve got to get some turf and a bag of large slate chippings as I had no idea how much they warm up, I put a slate table mat out just to see if it really did heat up like I’ve read and he loved it! Also few littl bits and bobs. But the main issue I’m having is finding things to plant that I don’t have to grow from seed. I don’t mind growing from seed at all as we’ve got a little veg plot, but I really wanted to plant some things this weekend and all I seem to find is tiny plug plants.

I am so sorry for the lengthy post. If you actually get to the end without getting bored...well done and thank you Looking forward to getting to know you all
No need to worry much about hibernation just yet. My outdoor thread touches on the subject.

You will need somewhere cool, dry and rodent free that will stay below 10C and above zero throughout the hibernation. Weigh your tortoise now (in grammes) as it is useful to know what your tort weighs now and in the run up hibernation.

To weigh your tort, the stranding method is easiest. Use electronic scales and zero them with a large tin on top. Pop your tort on top of the tin and it won't be able to walk off while you take the reading.

Jemzfarm

Southwest England
No need to worry much about hibernation just yet. My outdoor thread touches on the subject.

You will need somewhere cool, dry and rodent free that will stay below 10C and above zero throughout the hibernation. Weigh your tortoise now (in grammes) as it is useful to know what your tort weighs now and in the run up hibernation.

To weigh your tort, the stranding method is easiest. Use electronic scales and zero them with a large tin on top. Pop your tort on top of the tin and it won't be able to walk off while you take the reading.

Thank you so much @JoesMum (would be lovely to know your name too if that’s okay?) and I really am sorry to you any anyone else if I ask too many questions and start to irritate people...it’s just been a while since I’ve had him myself (apart from when my mum went away etc) that’s all and I do really want to get it right. He’s so lovely-i even said earlier to a friend I can’t believe how much I’ve missed him! It brings back so many childhood memories too :)

We have an outbuilding at the bottom of the garden-I guess it’s just like a garage really (meant to be my craft room) but I’ve heard of people putting them in a ventilated fridge set to 5C...not sure how I feel about that if I’m honest?

I will definitely weigh him tomorrow..well it’s gone 3am and I can’t sleep so I mean in a few hours ;)! It’s bugging me that I can’t find all of his certificates, info etc. My mum was really hot on that sort of thing. I’m sure I will come across it all when I’m least expecting it! Am I mad in thinking he was microchipped too?

May I ask about his back legs...they seem to look a little sore/slightly pink in one area? I can give a picture if it helps in the morning. Again I am sorry I really am trying not to rely on all of you lovely people but the general Internet is wonderful for conflicting information or worrying you to death! :tort: Xx

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you so much @JoesMum (would be lovely to know your name too if that’s okay?) and I really am sorry to you any anyone else if I ask too many questions and start to irritate people...it’s just been a while since I’ve had him myself (apart from when my mum went away etc) that’s all and I do really want to get it right. He’s so lovely-i even said earlier to a friend I can’t believe how much I’ve missed him! It brings back so many childhood memories too :)

We have an outbuilding at the bottom of the garden-I guess it’s just like a garage really (meant to be my craft room) but I’ve heard of people putting them in a ventilated fridge set to 5C...not sure how I feel about that if I’m honest?

I will definitely weigh him tomorrow..well it’s gone 3am and I can’t sleep so I mean in a few hours ;)! It’s bugging me that I can’t find all of his certificates, info etc. My mum was really hot on that sort of thing. I’m sure I will come across it all when I’m least expecting it! Am I mad in thinking he was microchipped too?

May I ask about his back legs...they seem to look a little sore/slightly pink in one area? I can give a picture if it helps in the morning. Again I am sorry I really am trying not to rely on all of you lovely people but the general Internet is wonderful for conflicting information or worrying you to death! :tort: Xx

I’m Linda and you’ll often find me in the Cold Dark Room chat thread.

He may not have much/any paperwork - it depends on his age. It doesn’t matter. He can’t be sold without paperwork, only gifted, that’s all.

He may have been microchipped if he was hatched in the UK. There will be paperwork if he was. We had Joe microchipped in case he went walkabout - paying for lifetime registration, instead of annual fee, was excellent value seeing as it was based on the lifespan of a dog :D

A photo of the patch of concern would be useful. Do check the shell above it for sharp edges. If there is a sharp bit then a little sandpaper will sort it out

Jemzfarm

Southwest England
I’m Linda and you’ll often find me in the Cold Dark Room chat thread.

He may not have much/any paperwork - it depends on his age. It doesn’t matter. He can’t be sold without paperwork, only gifted, that’s all.

He may have been microchipped if he was hatched in the UK. There will be paperwork if he was. We had Joe microchipped in case he went walkabout - paying for lifetime registration, instead of annual fee, was excellent value seeing as it was based on the lifespan of a dog :D

A photo of the patch of concern would be useful. Do check the shell above it for sharp edges. If there is a sharp bit then a little sandpaper will sort it out

He definitely had paperwork from what I remember, quite a lot of it including all the extras my mum had as she would take him to things like tortoise groups near to where we lived etc...I know there was a folder full. He was bought in the U.K. from a reputable breeder, and I although I don’t know the age of how old he was when we had him, he was very young and tiny (not sure what age is the minimum to sell them? As in a dog has to be 8weeks, what’s the normal for a tort?)

I’d never ever sell him at all, with or without paperwork, he’d only be ‘handed down’ or something along those lines in years to come.

Sandpaper...well I’d never thought of that! See you guys are full of such useful information! Thank you.

Okay I will double check that nothing is rubbing and will post a picture below of the ‘pink patches’ - this may be normal but if it isn’t I’d rather know what to do.

Jemzfarm

Southwest England
C814E914-A7CF-44D6-BFB4-9DD9FE7CC170.jpeg 27A0EF1A-F421-447D-A1D7-E73C80EE9B0E.jpeg C814E914-A7CF-44D6-BFB4-9DD9FE7CC170.jpeg 27A0EF1A-F421-447D-A1D7-E73C80EE9B0E.jpeg 42D18918-BD4D-4425-AF89-6110846F2D95.jpeg Hey @JoesMum and anybody else who may help regarding the pink/sore spots on his hind legs. Also I’ve attached another pic as one of the scales on his head is green...again this may be totally normal!
And please remember I haven’t had him in my sole care for a good few years so I may be worrying over nothing but also I am a worrier in general and when it comes to my pets I will do anything for them.

I’m sorry they aren’t great quality and although you’ll be able to see what I mean theses do look slightly more pink in real life, a picture couldnt seem to capture it and he was understandably getting impatient with me :tort:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum from a previous South West of Englander. :)
If you mean the pink colouration on the round protective leg scutes, then that's just, well , colouration.
Looks fine to me. :tort::tort:
Nice tortoise.:<3: