Newbie to the group - yelllow foot age

Jill8324

Location (City and/or State)
WI
Hi all,

I am a new yellow-foot mom, but have a wide variety of other critters in my home. I have had box turtles in the past. In any case, I brought this little one home and he/she is doing well. But the woman I got him from said he was six months old!!! Could that be right? Did she mean six weeks? I can definitely call and ask her ... I just wanted other opinions too. Thanks!

DE8263FF-76AC-492A-A64B-49DD42F22F28.jpeg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I would guess 6 wks over 6 months. New growth is only just coming through, and I think I can still see an egg tooth. My redfoots lose the egg tooth around the 60 day mark.
That said I don't know if it's possible to slow growth right down?

N

no one

Hello and Welcome Jill!! I like the yellow foot over the red ones. Enjoy your new tortoise!!

Wendy Proulx

Chesapeake VA
I have a baby yellow foot that is suppose to be 5 months old and looks very similar to yours. Kurt’s weight the other day was 71g if that helps at all

richosullivan

10 Year Member!
Orlando
Hi all,

I am a new yellow-foot mom, but have a wide variety of other critters in my home. I have had box turtles in the past. In any case, I brought this little one home and he/she is doing well. But the woman I got him from said he was six months old!!! Could that be right? Did she mean six weeks? I can definitely call and ask her ... I just wanted other opinions too. Thanks!

My yellowfoot was tiny for the first 18 months - i thought I was doing something wrong because he wasn't growing at the same rate as my elongated or black mountain (though I anticipated the black mountain to grow fast based on everything I had read.

Here is a picture from when he was 3 months old (or at least the age we were told - this is from the day we got him):

Screenshot_20171020-094335.png

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome Jill, you have a gorgeous little guy there!

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
My yellowfoot was tiny for the first 18 months - i thought I was doing something wrong because he wasn't growing at the same rate as my elongated or black mountain (though I anticipated the black mountain to grow fast based on everything I had read.

Here is a picture from when he was 3 months old (or at least the age we were told - this is from the day we got him):

View attachment 220836

He's so cute!! I wish they stayed small.