Newbie to Tortoise (Elongata)

joel0226

Location (City and/or State)
Southern Philippines
Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie in this forum as well as having a tortoise. I am from southern Philippines and had bought an Elongata tortoise from a pet store almost a month ago. I am very new to tortoises but already have pets such as a pair cockatiel birds with to adult hatchlings already. I've been looking forward of having a tortoise for a long time but just a month ago have found a breed that could probably survive the climate here in our area, so I choose Elongata as this is common to other Southeast Asian countries. Mine is already 6 inches in carapace and the owner told me that it is already 3 years of age. Unfortunately, the owner told me that what I bought is still unsexed as it is still a juvenile. On my research and also reading a lot of topics here in this forum, I found out that the sexing of tortoise (Elongata) should be done 4 years onwards for reliability. My new pet temporarily stays in an old aquarium (1.5 ft. x 3 ft.) and placed outside with direct sunlight during early morning for almost 30 mins. and will be under the shade for the rest of the day. I have made an outside enclosure (4 ft. x 8 ft.) with live plants for food. After a month of observation, my tortoise will be transferred to outside enclosure.

Below are the pictures of my new pet, hope you could help me in sexing my pet as I am planning to buy a pair in the next few weeks.

20160410_062508.jpg

20160410_062519.jpg

20160410_062408.jpg
Sincere Thanks,
Joel

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Joel

Tortoises are loners that don't want, need or particularly like company. In the wild, they roam large distances, meet up to mate and move on.

They don't get lonely and they're not social like humans and dogs. They don't want a friend of the same or the opposite sex. Another tortoise is just competition for territory and food.

If you have more than one tortoise, one is always dominant.

If you have just two tortoises that means you have one bully and one victim. Bullying may be mental or physical with blood often being drawn.

If you have three or more in a large outdoor enclosure with plenty of sight barriers then they may get on, or at least be able to avoid each other.

If you keep tortoises, you have to accept that keeping them separately may well be the only thing that works. If you don't have room for that then stick to one.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I'd say this one is female looking currently, but that may change. My male elongata grew distinctly male sex characteristics when he was just a bit bigger than yours, so you may find out soon.

Do not put a second tortoise in an 8x4 enclosure. Elongata are *very* aggressive. My male will bite, ram, and flip anything he can catch. You can't cohouse this species safely without a much larger space and lots of hiding areas. They really do not enjoy company and can kill each other if left together in a small space.

joel0226

Southern Philippines

joel0226

Southern Philippines
Your tprt is very cute by the way, but too small to sex just yet. (They all look female at first.)

Thanks for the feedback. Yah, its really cute that is the reason why I choose this one out of 4 available torts in the pet store. Only a few pet stores on here are selling tortoises, most of the time its Sulcata. Although I admire Sulcata tortoise, but I think Elongata would be best for a newbie like me since the climate in the wild is almost the same in my current location. Tortoises in here are expensive, we don't have tortoises in the wild.

Thanks,
Joel

joel0226

Southern Philippines
I'd say this one is female looking currently, but that may change. My male elongata grew distinctly male sex characteristics when he was just a bit bigger than yours, so you may find out soon.

Do not put a second tortoise in an 8x4 enclosure. Elongata are *very* aggressive. My male will bite, ram, and flip anything he can catch. You can't cohouse this species safely without a much larger space and lots of hiding areas. They really do not enjoy company and can kill each other if left together in a small space.

Thanks Sarah, I'll take your advise and other members of the group. I was hoping to breed Elongata in the future like what I did with my cockatiel birds. But anyway, one would be fine while I am still learning.

Regards,
Joel

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Good plan. I think this is an important species to breed, but not something to be jumped into. Get your care perfect and a huge well planted enclosure and then think about breeding.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Welcome from Texas, I have a Redfoot and Brazilian Cherryhead and thanks to this forum they have been growing happy and healthy. You'll get great advise here and make many friends if you wish. Enjoy

Amron

Lancashire. England
He!lo and welcome, I have only just joined, although I have had Fred for 9 years, and I'm have learned a lot from all these nice people. I am sure you will as well. Good luck :)

joel0226

Southern Philippines
Thanks Everyone for the advice and welcoming me here in this forum. Indeed, I have read a lot of topics in here especially with that of Elongata and have learned so much. Tortoise are really hardy but with distinct character compared to other pets. Although I am looking forward of having hatchlings in the future, I would prefer studying this only tortoise I have right now. Maybe a year or two would be enough for me to decide if partner is needed.

Sincerely,
Joel