Newbie wanting to thank!

Vicky.M.

I very very recently got a Hermann tortoise who I have called Norman (hoping it is a boy!) he is almost a year old and I just wanted to say I'm so glad I have found this forum as I have found it so useful, I'm still getting to grips with the temperatures/ lighting and things but Norman seems happy he is eating, enjoying a bath (especially pooping In it) I have read up lots and my biggest worry is I have got Norman in a vivarium, I went for this option as I felt it was safer with the lights ( I work long shifts) but I'm worried that it isn't ideal for him, I'm struggling to understand how temperature and humidity can be better in a tortoise table when it is open? My grandad has made me one so I'm going to rig up the lamp and bulb at some point, but will Norman be ok in the vivarium?
I would welcome any other advice on offer! (Found the care sheet very helpful) x

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Vicky, and welcome to the Forum!

The viv is ok for now, but as he gets bigger he'll need to be set up either outside or in a bigger space. They need lots of room to wander.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). A table is harder to heat and keep humidity up. However, if it has tall enough sides, you can cover it, cut holes for the lights or hang the lights inside. Covering a portion of it and keeping that the higher humidity area would work too as long as he spends enough time in that end.

Vicky.M.

Thanks guys, has set my mind to rest now I was worrying so much! I've ordered some sticky back plastic stuff to cover the glass, so he isn't stressed out as much!