Newbie with baby horse field :)

Donna(truditortose)

Location (City and/or State)
west midlands uk
Hi after any info and advice. I have had my baby horse field for just over month :) I was wondering how much they usually sleep ?? and how much food should she eat ? I know she should eat dandelions and weeds, how ever she seems to turn her nose up at these. The pet shop that we bought her from fed her salads etc. I have been giving her rocket, cress and romain lettuce which she likes. any info advice please

Reptilelove

Plymouth
Welcome to the forum! Make sure you post loads of pics! My hermanns sleep all night and sometimes during the day, try kale and spring greens also :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here are my tips and advice:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Its a shame that the pet shop took the easy road. Now it will be more work for you. To introduce to new and better foods try chopping upa small amount the new stuff and thoroughly mix it up with some of the chopped up store bought stuff. It will take time but gradually increase the ratio of new stuff to old. In time your tortoise will happily eat whatever good foods you give it.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I had the petstore fed wrong problem too (but not hatchling) I basically kept feeding pet store stuff slowly slipping in good stuff and eventually he never turned his nose up to healthy foods again (minus one incident where he only wanted romaine). As a hatchling I know the slow approach I had probably wouldn't work. But its good dandelions are seen as good now! It took 'nank a whole year to decide to eat dandelion flowers when they were yellow, before he's only eat the buds, I suppose the last year was his first year in captivity in new surroundings though so that probably threw him off.