Newbie with greek tortoise HELP!

Drewbhaven

I just bought my golden greek 3 days ago. I made a huge newbie mistake and just bought everything they told me to purchase. I have a glass tank (1st mistake) and alfalfa substrate pellets. I brought him home and set up the lights and tank. I got the dual light fixture with a UVB 200 13Watt, and a heatwave basking light. (not sure of wattage im looking off the receipt). I also got a heat pad for under the tank.

I brought him home and prepared his food romaine lettuce with calcium powder (this is what the people told me would be his main diet). WHen he got home he didn't eat at all and just went into his hut and slept. I wasn't concerned hoping he would eat the next day.

The following day i put in fresh food and gave him warm soak. He moved around and was very active while being soaked. When i placed him back in he still would not eat. He sleeps all day and even when he moves he always has his eyes closed, he will only open them when he is soaking. I looked up these symptoms and im worried its hatchling failure. When i bought him he was lounging in the water dish at the store the whole time i was there which also is a supposed symptom of this. Im incredibly worried and i feel stupid for not doing any research before hand. Its almost day 4 and he hasnt eaten and still has his eyes closed. Im trying to keep him hydrated and to eat without handling him to much. There was also no mention of a thermometer or humidity meter when buying him so i cant provide that information (another rookie mistake). What is going on and is there any hope to help him?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forums! change the pellets substrate to something that can be moist. are you using a compact bulb? posting pics of the enclosure and the tort will be helpful. the temps are one of the most important parts of owning a tortoises. if the temps are to low they can't properly function and digest food properly.

Drewbhaven

welcome to the forums! change the pellets substrate to something that can be moist. are you using a compact bulb? posting pics of the enclosure and the tort will be helpful. the temps are one of the most important parts of owning a tortoises. if the temps are to low they can't properly function and digest food properly.

20150223_234955.jpeg 20150223_234919.jpeg 20150223_235018.jpeg

This is the exact setup i was told to use, i knw that alot needs to be changed and im angry at myself and the man who sold me all this stuff.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
I would change the substrate and try offering different foods and unplug coil bulb right away they will be fine till you can get the right uvb bulb. For a thermometer and hydrometer I use is from walmart and seems to be fairly accurate.

Drewbhaven

take the coil bulb out they make tortoises blind! take the pellets out, baby torts need lots of humidity!

Seriously!? 0_0 i just took it out! Where can i find the right uvb is there an amazon product you can link me to? Whats the best substrate i should use for? Its late here so tomorrow im going to go out and purchase a thermometer and hydrometer and substrate. I honestly feel like the dumbest person right now and feel even worse for my poor tortoise.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Seriously!? 0_0 i just took it out! Where can i find the right uvb is there an amazon product you can link me to? Whats the best substrate i should use for? Its late here so tomorrow im going to go out and purchase a thermometer and hydrometer and substrate. I honestly feel like the dumbest person right now and feel even worse for my poor tortoise.
cypress mulch, coco coir, orchard bark are good substrates. this is a good uvb light.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
now go read the link i posted for the greek care sheet.

Drewbhaven

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
We expect that the pet store would know what they are talking about, unfortunately they almost never do. There is a huge pile of stuff I bought and either barely used or never used because I realized it was the wrong stuff. you can get a lot of the stuff at the hardware store, such as this for humidity and temperature.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1424757873.095147.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1424757930.844987.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1424758017.278000.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
And the temperature gun and the ceramic fixture. The learning curve at the beginning is huge. But it gets better. there is a lot of conflicting information out there so stay here on this forum and he will she find out all you need to know.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

You'll need to get some soothing eye ointment for the baby. That bulb has bothered his eyes. He'll be ok, but the ointment will help sooth. You can buy Veterycin at a pet store, or ask your vet is he'll sell you an eye ointment without an appointment.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately you ended up buying your tortoise from a pet store... they usually tell you things they think is the right way to raise a tortoise w/ out really doing the research themselves. Good thing you came here! So just like everyone else said, change the substrate... One thing you can use also is top soil. These can be purchased from your local home depot or home improvement stores. Just make sure it is as plain as possible. (This is one of my favorite substrate). The pellets can mold easily and can be deadly to your lil one. The bulb for sure you want to change to a mercury vapor bulb. If you get the chance, get a spray bottle... you'll use that on a daily basis to bring up the humidity on your enclosure. Soak your baby daily... If he/she still hasn't eaten, that is because your little buddy is probably scare... it will take time... aslong as your soaking you should be fine... another way of soaking just so your baby can get some nutrient, buy some baby food and mix it w/ the water you use for soaking. =) Dont beat yourself up for what happened. Even myself made this mistakes and im sure a lot of people has. Keep us posted and i wish you the best of luck =)

puffy137

My Greek babies 8 months old, seem to like the cold weather. Its been around 18*c / 64*f here lately . I always put the babies back inside their houses but sure enough next day they are outside in the rain.